The 2019 Solitaire TriPeaks Thanksgiving Recipe Contest!

Lori Gray

Glorified Cabbage

This recipe came to me from my mother in law and ever since then it is always requested at Thanksgiving we never have enough!

Side Dish

1 Medium head of Cabbage
1 onion
1/2 lb velveeta cheese
3/4 stick butter
1 can mushroom soup
3/4 cup croutons garlic and cheese are the best to use (big croutons)
Salt and pepper

Chop cabbage fine and boil until wilted in salted water.
In the meantime wilt onions in butter. When wilted add cheese that has been cubes. Allow to melt over low heat. Add soup and stir.
Once cabbage is tender drain, leaving a little water to help mix the cheese mixture in. ( I use a strainer and drain but don’t allow to sit and completely drain)
Place cabbage back in the pan mix in the cheese mixture. Mix well. Place in casserole dish. Top with croutons and salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Side note: croutons will soak up the extra water left on the cabbage as well but don’t leave too much water or you’ll lose your flavor and croutons would be soggy.

1 Like

Nana’s sourdough cookies
Abby Mize
Dessert
This recipe my Nana has passed down to us. She would make it every year at Christmas time in the shape of Christmas trees and it was everyone’s favorite go to dessert! After she passed the recipe down I started making it for every holiday in different shapes! This is a family favorite and kids love them!

2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter and 1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 tsp orange flavoring
1/4 tsp lemon flavoring
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream

Cream butter and shortening. Stir in flavorings. Add sugar and cream well. Beat in egg until fluffy. Alternate stirring in flour and sour cream. Mix until smooth. Put dough in freezer an chill for about 20 minutes. Pat with flour. Roll out on to a floured surface and cut. Dip cutters into flour each time you use them. If dough sticks, pat with flour.

Bake at 350 degrees.

Icing: Powdered sugar, water, food coloring.

Sprinkles! (If you want)

I hope y’all enjoy this recipe at yalls thanksgiving dinner!!!

5 Likes

I absolutely LOVE this contest! I made a couple recipes from this contest last year! Thank you all who share! :shallow_pan_of_food: :stew: :bowl_with_spoon: :green_salad:

1 Like

Berry s plash stuffing. 11/2 pds lean Hamburg. 1pnd. Ground sausage. 1medium onion (chopped small) 3 to4 stalks of celery (chopped) 4 large potatoes ( peeled and cooked) 1 small carrot shavings 3/4cupd of cranberrys 3/4 cups blueberry’s. Walnuts ???optimal. 3to4 slices of Italian bread, 2to3 eggs Salt and pepper. And bell seasoning. And. Garlic powder. To taste. Fry. Hamburg"sausage,onion and celery until it is fully cooked, add ,salt,pepper bell seasoning and garlic,taste as you go ,mash in potatoes. Place stuffing into a large bowl crack in eggs,mash ,then add bread,don’t add to much bread ,keep it moist (if stuffing is not moist. Enough add chicken broth,season to taste. Fold Berry’s into stuffing mixture ,cook in casserole dish or inside turkey, If cooking in turkey make stuffing moist so it doesn,t dry up. The stuffing will be a big hit. They,LL keep coming back for. More. I hope you enjoy it. And. Happy Thanksgiving from my kitchen to yours

1 Like

Category - Side Dish
“Mom’s Artichoke Rice”

• 2 pouches Uncle Bens Roasted Chicken Rice
  • 1 Lg. jar of marinated artichokes- chopped,
    reserve liquid
  • 36-40 green olives - sliced
  • 6 green onions - chopped
  • 1 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1/2 tsp Curry powder

Cook rice as directed on package(Steaming in microwave is best)…drain artichoke hearts, reserving the liquid. Chop the artichokes. Slice olives and green onions. Mix all vegetables together…mix 1/2 of the artichoke liquid (discard remaining liquid)with the mayonnaise and curry powder…stir into vegetables. …add the rice, stir well. Serve and enjoy.

NOTE: This has been a holiday favorite in our family for the past 42 years …we LOVE Mom’s Artichoke Rice💖

Submitted by:
Bamagirl58
Club “Tiki Treasures”

2 Likes

Best Vegetable by ArndtHereBaby

Scrumdillyumptious Roasted and Smoked Stuffed Jalapeños

I discovered a love for all things jalapeño when I was pregnant with my second child. As you can imagine she has grown to be quite spicy as well, lol! Below is a recipe I concocted a few years back that makes a wonderful addition to our families historic Thanksgiving favorites!

Ingredients:
· Real bacon bits or 4 slices of thick cut bacon (yields approx 1/3 cup when cooked and diced up)

For the poppers:

· 10 medium sized jalapeño peppers

· 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded

· 4 ounces softened cream cheese whipped

· Garnish: green onion, parsley, etc

· A dash or 1/4 a capful of liquid smoke (to taste)

Combine bacon, cream cheese, and liquid smoke.
Cut the jalapeños in half and then stuff with the cream cheese mixture.
Top with cheese and garnishes of choice.

Bake at 425 for for 15-20 minutes until peppers are tender and cheese is golden and bubbly!

Enjoy!

1 Like

Best Side Dish by ArndtHereBaby

Scrumdillyumptious Roasted and Smoked Stuffed Jalapeños

I discovered a love for all things jalapeño when I was pregnant with my second child. As you can imagine she has grown to be quite spicy as well, lol! Below is a recipe I concocted a few years back that makes a wonderful addition to our families historic Thanksgiving favorites!

Ingredients:
· Real bacon bits or 4 slices of thick cut bacon (yields approx 1/3 cup when cooked and diced up)

For the poppers:
· 10 medium sized jalapeño peppers
· 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
· 4 ounces softened cream cheese whipped
· Garnish: green onion, parsley, etc
· A dash or 1/4 a capful of liquid smoke (to taste)

Combine bacon, cream cheese, and liquid smoke.
Cut the jalapeños in half and then stuff with the cream cheese mixture.
Top with cheese and garnishes of choice.

Bake at 425 for for 15-20 minutes until peppers are tender and cheese is golden and bubbly!

Enjoy!

1 Like

After my husband suffered a heart attack, I had to learn how to cook differently! Desserts were the hardest. I created this mixing together the flavors of his two favorite desserts, pineapple upside down cake and bananas Foster. I made it for the holidays and nobody knew it was “heart healthy”
BANANA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
3 T melted butter
2T rum extract
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 ripe bananas cut in one inch coins
1/3 c all purpose flour
1/3 c white whole wheat flour
1 t cinnamon
½ t salt
1 t baking powder
One large egg
1/3 c sugar
¼ c olive oil
1/3 c plain yogurt

1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Mix melted butter and extract in greased 9 by 9 pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange banana slices over sugar
  3. Mixed together both flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In separate bowl mixed together egg, granulated sugar, yogurt, oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. The batter will be lumpy. Spread the batter over bananas
  4. Bake 20 minutes, cool for 10. run a knife around the edge and invert the cake onto your serving plate
1 Like

I have had this recipe for many years. My family loves it. When my daughter was younger she prepared it for all our holidays because it was so easy. The rich ingredients compliment our holiday meals.

Corn Casserole
•2 cans whole corn, drained
•1 can cream corn
• 1 egg
•1 cup melted butter
•1 cup sour cream
•1 small box of corn bread mix
•1 can cream of celery soup
Mix all ingredients and bake in 9x13 pan for 45 minutes.

1 Like

This recipe is a family favorite. Great for a crowd. I am entering it in the best Side Dish category, though it could also double as dessert. I changed the name in honor of our own favorite Captain Karma.

Not Captain Karma’s Sweet Potato Casserole

Casserole Ingredients:
3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup Captain Morgan’s spiced rum
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping Ingredients:
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour

Mix together sweet potatoes,

granulated sugar, 1/2 cup butter, rum,
eggs, and vanilla. Spread into a greased
9" x 13" baking dish.
Mix together 1/3 cup melted butter,
pecans, brown sugar, and flour. Spoon
on top of sweet potato mixture. Bake at
350 for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!

2 Likes

This is an Island dessert for all that is very easy for all to make! We usually use strawberry as it is the easiest to find and I’m not all that creative. It comes out very moist. I call it “Tiki Island Desserts”

This is a family favorite and works for all holidays. It can also be altered to be diabetic friendly which I will show below:

• 1 Box of fruit flavored cake mix (our favorite is strawberry)

• 1 can of fruit flavored soda, if using Strawberry cake mix used Strawberry soda as well. To make this Diabetic friendly use Diet Strawberry soda

• Mix 1 can of Soda with cake mix to normal consistency and bake as directed.

• cover cooled cake with Cool Whip and top with strawberries/peaches/etc to taste. This is also very tasty for a 4th of July party and covered with Strawberries and blueberries in the design of a flag if desired.

•[NOTE: Do NOT USE EGGS OR OIL WHEN BAKING THIS CAKE]

2 Likes
                     Orange whip

1-Large box jello
2-A can of Mandarin oranges
3-One regular size tub of cool whip

Prepare jello in a large bowl, refrigerate for 2 hours (soft set) take out of frig.
drain the oranges, dump in with jello
Whole container of cool whip.
Use an electric hand mixer and mix until it all looks broke up. Place back into the frig. for 4-6 hours. Or overnight. The kids love it.

2 Likes

Chocolate Macadamia Nut Martini

(Adult dessert)
Chocolate Liqueur
Macadamia Nut Liqueur
Chocolate Vodka
Chocolate syrup
Crushed Macadamia nut
Ice
Martini shaker
Martini glasses
Shot glass

Coat martini glass with chocolate syrup and roll rim in the crushed macadamia nuts.
Add ice to martini shaker.
Add equal shots of each liqueur to martini shaker and shake.
Pour into prepared glasses and enjoy!

3 Likes

Carol’s Pumpkin Squares

1 box of yellow/white cake mix
3/4 cup softened butter
4 large eggs
1 large can pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 13x9 inch pan. Remove 1 cup of the cake mix and set aside. Mix the rest of the cake mix with 1/2cup softened butter and 1 egg until well blended. Press mixture onto the bottom of prepared pan.
Mix pumpkin, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, 3 eggs and milk with a mixer until well blended. Pour over cake mixture.
Mix cup of reserved cake mix, 1/4 cup softened butter, remaining brown sugar and sugar into a crumble. Sprinkle on top of pumpkin mixture.
Crushed nuts can also be added to topping.
Bake for 1 hour.
When completely cooled, cut into squares.

3 Likes

CATEGORY: SALAD
FROZEN CRANBERRY SALAD

This is not an official entry as I found it YEARS ago in an awesome Church cookbook that I still use today! The credit belongs to Billie Dolan.
This is a family favorite in at least three generations and could be considered a family Thanksgiving tradition! If there is Turkey, there is frozen cranberry salad or perhaps you might want to serve it as dessert! I promised several players I would post it, so here it is!!! Prepare to YUM!!!

POSTED BY: Sandi Haltom, member of. . . Monoi Tiki

INGREDIENTS:
1 CUP WHIPPING CREAM (I often substitute the whipping cream with oil whip but when I do I dont share that information!)
1oz. can of CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
1 can WHOLEBERRY CRANBERRY SAUCE
1 T. MAYONAISE
2 T. SUGAR
1 8 oz SOFT CREAM CHEESE
1 cup PECANS (I add 2 cups…we like nuts!)

DIRECTIONS:
Blend whipped whipping cream (or Cool Whip) with the pineapple. Next fold in the cranberry sauce and stir till it is smooth.
Add in cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sugar. (I mash the cream cheese before adding as it makes the blending easier). Lastly blend in the nuts.
The mixture may be placed in muffin tins for individual servings or in a bundt pan.
Which ever you choose to use, be sure to spray the containers generously with Pam.
Place in the freezer to form a wonderfully delicious concoction!
Remove from freezer about 10 minutes prior to serving, allow it to sit at room temperature before unmolding.
This salad will keep several weeks in the freezer, so I have been told. My salad disappears in two days!!!
It is a beautiful pink and a tasty addition to your Thanksgiving dinner! Enjoy!!!

2 Likes

AbiGrace Carter
Category: Salad

Abi’s Loaded Salad

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Salad olives
2 handfulls fresh Kale
1 handfull fresh Spinach and Arugula
1 tbs Dill pickle (diced)
[I use jarred Dill pickle Spears or the sandwich pickles]
1/4 shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 feta cheese
2 Boiled eggs
1/4 of REAL Bacon Bits
1 cup fresh broccoli
1 whole avocado diced
1 cucumber (cut in circle slices)
1 tomato diced
1 yellow squash diced
1/2 cup Croutons and/or almond slices
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
*Optional Garnish: Sauteed shrimp and onions
*Add: Your choice of salad dressing
[I love Walmart’s Great Value Organic Green Goddess Dressing]

Instructions:
Boil eggs. When done, peel and dice up. Then set aside.

Shred the handfulls of fresh kale, spinach, & arugula. Add to a mixing bowl.

Dice tomato, cucumber, pickles, squash, and avocado. Add to the mixing bowl.

Add diced eggs, salad olives, cheeses, bacon bits, and broccoli florets.

Drizzle the olive oil on top of salad.

Toss salad and serve. Adding croutons and/or almond slices, if desired, and your choice of salad dressing.

If choosing to add sauteed shrimp and onions. Add 1 tbs olive oil in skillet. Dice or slice onions and add to skillet once heated. When onions are brown, add shrimp and garlic (minced or powder). Add ingredients to garnish your salad

I have always been a fan of salads. Recently due to health issues I have made it an important task of eating more vegetables especially raw…What better way to eat more healthy raw vegetables than in a salad filled with many nutrients, proteins, and more. I sometimes challenge myself to see how many vegetables I can add to my salad. The more the merrier!

1 Like

Mom’s frozen salad. Pint heavy whipping cream, can of fruit cocktail,drain fruit well food into whipped cream that has been whipped, top with maraschino cherries freeze

1 Like

Alternative to Turkey
Daddy’s Beef Stew
My dad put love in everything he made. My dad would say whoever gets the bay leaf in their bowl of stew will be lucky all year. I was lucky to have him as my dad!

Ingredients:

• 3 lbs - Beef Chuck 1” squares
  • 2 Tbsp - oil. I use olive oil
  • 4 cups - Organic chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp - lemon juice
  • 1 tsp - Worcestershire sauce
  • Clove garlic
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 or 2 Bay Leaves
  • 1 Tbsp Salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Allspice
  • 4-6 Potatoes
  • Package of Carrots

Directions:

1. Brown meat in large saucepan
  2. Boil the chicken broth and add to meat
  3. Add all ingredients except for potatoes and carrots
  4. Simmer for two hours
  5. Peel potatoes and carrots. Quarter the potatoes and slice carrots
  6. Add the potatoes and carrots to the stew and cook for thirty minutes. Or you can boil separately in chicken broth and then add to the stew.

Note I use organics as I like the taste. Also I serve with homemade cornbread.

Happy Thanksgiving
Wishing you all the very best!
Katherine Bradford

2 Likes

You can just not play them easy solution :four_leaf_clover::blush:

Thanks I’m going to have to try this one sounds like something I would love