The 2019 Solitaire TriPeaks Thanksgiving Recipe Contest!

We’re ready once again for another Thanksgiving Recipe Contest! (See last years entrants here!)

Read all about it in the Solitaire TriPeaks Blog

Then read the Official Rules here

And once you’re ready to hit reply with your own Thanksgiving Recipe, keep the following in mind:

1. Just ONE Recipe per category!
  2. THEY MUST BE YOUR OWN, or from a family member with permission. If you knowingly submit a recipe that’s been copyrighted, you could find yourself in a bit of trouble.
  3. Recipes should follow typical recipe format:

- Name of Dish Every dish has to have a name! You can always add your own if you’ve given the recipe a twist to make it your own. Example:

Mama's Cando-Rando Stuffing

- Optional intro Tell us any backstory or interesting anecdote that accompanies the recipe if you want. For example:

Every Halloween, my children bring home more candy than they can eat, so I concocted this turkey stuffing that everyone absolutely loves!

- Ingredient and Measurement List: Make sure you haven’t mixed up your tablespoons and teaspoons! Here’s an example:

- 5 cups assorted, unwrapped, Halloween candy
- 2 loaves of cubed bread
- 1 large onion
- 6 stalks of celery
- 4 cups of nonfat yogurt 
- 3/4 tablespoon of ghost pepper
- 2 cups of mouthwash (mint flavored - I like Scope)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 
- Dash of paprika

- Instructions: It’s great you’ve got all the ingredients, but now what do we do with them? Be as detailed as possible! Here’s an example:

Preheat oven to 150. Mix all the ingredients together. Bake for 5 minutes, and remove from oven. Allow to cool by covering and placing in extended snow storm for 3 days. Garnish with a long swirl of children's toothpaste and serve immediately.

There you have it! Now, post YOUR favorite recipe by clicking/tapping “Reply”!

12 Likes

Cornish Hens x4
Mushroom stuffing
Stuff hens butter top and wrap I foil
Place in oven for50 to 60 min at 450
Salad
2 cucumbers
2 tomatos
2 bunches of green onions
1 bottle of Italian dressing
Chop all vegetables and add dressing
Potatoes
2 cans yams
5 russet potatoes
Boil potatoes
Then mix both together
And butter
Vegetables
Frozen corn
Place in hot water then drain add butter salt and pepper.
Green beans and almonds and mushrooms

That’s my Dinner

8 Likes

Giblet Gravy
Giblets from Turkey, plus 1 package of chicken livers and gizzards
Drippings from Turkey,plus chicken broth to make 6 cups of liquid
6 boiled eggs
A dash of kitchen bouquet
Put Giblets in a pan big enough to hold Giblets with an inch of water covering them. Put on the burner at medium high heat. Bring to boil. Cook until they are done. Boil eggs. When Giblets and eggs are done, cut Giblets and eggs in very small pieces. Put in a bowl until turkey is done. When Turkey is done pour the Turkey Drippings in a large pan. Put Giblets and eggs in the pan with the Drippings. Add chicken broth to make the amount of gravy you will need. Bring to a roaring boil. Thicken gravy with 2cups water and one cup of flour mixed together. Stir until desired consistency. Add a dash of kitchen bouquet for coloring.

Put over mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing😊

9 Likes

Bannock Hotdogs
Had a bunch of kids that didn’t want turkey

Dozen hotdogs or as many as you need
Left overs are great too
5-6 cups flour
1 tsp sugar
1-2tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c oil
1/2 c water 1/2c milk
Oil enough to deep fry: about 3 inches

Mix dry ingredients together
Make a whole and gradually add liquids until tacky
Roll out like pastry
Cut into rectangles to fit hotdogs you are using so they can be completely wrapped in the dough
Pinch edges to close
Deep fry in oil until golden brown flip over and Repeat
lay on paper towels to drain off extra oil
Serve with vegs or salad

Sherry Myers
s.myers7@telus.net

6 Likes

Sausage and wild rice dressing in a slow cooker
I started making this dressing years ago because I have to use my oven for the turkey and ham.

. Normal loaf of sour dough bread bought a day or two in advance. I have the store cube it for me. Then I toast then in the oven the day before
. 1 cup of wild rice cooked also the day before
. Four honey garlic sausage cooked the day before
. 3/4 cup of golden raisin, and cranberries dried
1 of white onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
4 teaspoons summer savoury
1/2 cup butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Container of chicken stock

Sauté the onion,celery and butter then add the seasoning. Put in crock pot. Remove the skin and cook the sausage in a pan then add to crock pot. Add the rice and bread and dried raisin and cranberry’s. Add the stock and stir to mix everything up. Every hour stir for four hours.

. It will be dark but I never have left over

9 Likes

Love bannock hot dogs, I make them all the time!!

3 Likes

Refrigerated Pineapple Pie…
One can of crushed pineapple
1 16 oz. Sour cream
1 large box of vanilla pudding
large Grahm crackercrust

Mix all ingredients (use dry pudding)
Add to crust and refrigerate over night.

Makes a AWESOME summer pie as well…
Enjoy

8 Likes

Jacqueline Shelton sorry just realized I didn’t put my name.

2 Likes

Debs Easy Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:
1- 28 or 29oz can peaches
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, OR mace)

Empty can of peaches into medium saucepan…
Add spices to your specific tastebuds…
Add some of the sugar to sweeten to your specific tastebuds…
Cook on top of stove approximately 5-7 mins until heated…

In large bowl mix flour, remaining sugar, salt, baking powder & milk…

Melt margarine/butter in the oven in the pan of your choice…

Pour flour mixture on top of melted butter…

Spoon heated peaches on top of flour mixture…

Cook on 400 in oven for 40 minutes… cool for 20 minutes & serve… DELICIOUS!!!

7 Likes

Trina’s Jalapeño Cornbread

I begged my former grandmother-in-law (RIP) for the recipe after tasting hers in 1989, I was blown away! I tweaked it several times until I felt I perfected the recipe, and it quickly became a favorite at holiday meals, potlucks and parties.

2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix (Jiffy works best!)
3 eggs
2-1/2 cups of milk (do not use skim)
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 can cream style corn
1 roll pork sausage, crumbled and cooked (do not discard oil)
2 cups mild or medium shredded cheddar cheese
1 chopped onion
3+ finely chopped jalapeño peppers (do not remove seeds; 3=medium heat, 4=hot, 5 or more=SPICY!)

Cook sausage in a pan on stovetop over medium heat, do not discard oil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine muffin mix, sugar, eggs and milk (batter is best if slightly lumpy). Add remaining ingredients to batter including oil from sausage, combine well. Pour into an 8x11 (or similar size) baking pan that has been generously coated with cooking spray. Bake 75-90 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cornbread to cool 30-40 minutes.
ENJOY!

10 Likes

Side dish Italian recipe:
Palanta- combination of
potatoes,cornmeal,sauted onions,and mild cheddar cheese.
My daughter and I used to make this with her great grandmother, nona in Italian, for Thanksgiving, passing down the recipe generation after generation
Ingredients:
1Cup cornmeal
1 cup mild white cheddar cheese cubed
1 red onion diced
1TblSpoon olive oil or butter if preferred
Around 6 big potatoes red, or preferred sliced up
1large sauce pan/ or pan u cook corn on cob in
4 cups of water
1large frying pan. Or wok
Directions:
Boil 4 cups of water to full boil, add potatoes and cornmeal stir every10 to 15 minutes cook on high at first then as cornmeal and potatoes soak up all water and thicken reduce heat to low, stir every 10 minutes. In frying pan saute then onions to ur taste, then add them into the cormealpotato. Now add the cubed white cheddar cheese and stir til cheese is semi melted. After that time to plate it up. Spread palanta on big serving plate or 2 large plates , forming dome shape with palanta on each plate, let cool til warm to touch,* cheese n cornmeal are super hot,then serve, we leave spices or salt n pepper out due to allergies but also because gives people options of adding what they want we usually have spices, butter, etc on table, out it’s kinda bland, its cut up like a pie. Well enjoy from our family to yours.

3 Likes

Alternative to turkey:
My ex boyfriend mom cooks lobster and steak for Thanksgiving

3 Likes

Cookie batter balls…
For the coating:
200g milk chocolate
150g white chocolate

For the centre:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup salted butter
1/3 cup light muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips

1. Melt the butter then leave to cool to room temperature (to stop the cookie dough becoming greasy).
  2. Mix the butter, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth. Sieve in the flour and add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
  3. Chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes then roll into small balls ready to dip. Make sure you have a large tray topped with baking paper to ensure the balls dont stick once dipped.
  4. Melt both the milk chocolate and white chocolate in seperate bowls to dip your cookie dough in. A good idea is to use a cocktail stick to minimalise mess from dipping the cookie dough balls in the chocolate. I normally dip in the milk chocolate and use a spoon to make a pattern with the white chocolate or vice versa
  5. One your balls have been coated and placed on your tray pop them in the fridge until the chocolate is hardened and enjoy :slight_smile:
4 Likes

Easy Gourmet Vegetable Salad

• Phyllis Kovaleski

1 can each (drained):
Hearts of palm (cut these into 1/3” discs)
Artichoke bottoms or hearts; if bottoms, cut into bit size pieces.
Black Olives
Sliced Water Chestnuts
Chick Peas (rinsed)
Fresh:
1 pint grape tomatoes (do not cut these)
3 bell peppers - orange, red and yellow (cut into 1 inch squares
1 pkg. each Frozen and thawed - do not cook:
Peas
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Asparagus (cut these)
Dressing - to taste:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lemon Pepper (I use quite a lot of this)
This recipe can easily be doubled and you can eliminate any of the items if you don’t care for them.

2 Likes

My favorite Thanksgiving side dish is the green bean casserole. Our receipe is do easy to make and so delicious.
This is enough for 4 to 6 people
2 cans of cut green beans drained
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
Approximately half a container of french’s fried onions
Take a casserole dish and spray it with nonstick cooking spray
Add the green beans and the cream of mushroom soup
Stir them together until well mixed
Sprinkle the onions on top until completely covered
Cover the casserole dish and cook in a 350 degree oven for about 30minutes until bubbling
Serve and enjoy!! Happy Thanksgiving!

4 Likes

Corry’s Candy Carrots
By Cyndee Corry
I was introduced to this yummy side dish when I married into a family of amazing cooks…and I have never really enjoyed or liked carrots!
Recipe:
* 2 lbs peeled baby carrots
* 1 lbs butter
* 1/4 cup brown sugar

In a medium saucepan, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add 1 pound of butter and boil until melted. Add 2 pounds of peeled baby carrots. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Stir occasionally for 5 to 8 minutes until carrots are tender and sweet. Serve as a side dish and savor the immense flavor!

2 Likes

Napda’s American Nacho Salad
( always disappears quickly)

INGREDIENTS
2lbs ground beef
2 cans light kidney beans
I small ( minced) onion
1 head lettuce
2 tomatoes
I 8oz bag shredded cheddar cheese
I large bag of Doritos- remove & (put aside) two handfuls of (Whole) chips & then squeeze/squish up the rest of the bag.
I large bottle Kraft Catalina dressing

INSTRUCTIONS
In very large bowl, Mix together cooked ground beef, Mince onion, drained & rinsed kidney beans.
15 minutes before serving, add the following in the bowl above;
Chop lettuce, chop tomatoes, cheddar cheese, squished up Doritos
Mix all ingredients together.
Next add the dressing and mix again.
Decorate your dish by adding the whole Doritos around the outside of your dish.
I use gloves vs. Spoons to mix everything.
Enjoy!

3 Likes

Yummy
I’ve gotta try thid

1 Like

I’m going to try making these
Thx

1 Like

Sausage stuffing

So the story behind this will sound horrible but it comes from love loss and a little humor.
In 2002 my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and by the time they found it there was no hope of survival. She had a great last year of life living it to the fullest she even got to see her first grandchild come into the world…in her last few days dementia had settled in and she was in and out of conciousness… one of the last things she said to me (soooo random) was “I always wanted to try stuffing with sausage for thanksgiving but it seemed to complicated.” So every year after she passed we have always made this easy and totally uncomplicated stuffing for mom Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 med sweet onion - diced
2 tbsp of fresh time - finely chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp of parsley- finely chopped
1/2 tsp of fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 large eggs
4 tbsp unsalted butter
3 cups chicken broth
24 oz. Cubed toasted white bread unseasoned (I usually use 2 pkgs of pepperidge farm brand)
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of the butter
Add in onions and garlic and saute over med heat until the onions are translucent.
Add in sausage, salt pepper and cook until sausage is brown.
Add the chicken broth and simmer for 10 min.
Grab a large mixing bowl and beat the eggs with the thyme and parsley and mix in bread until it is coated with egg mixture.
Use remaing butter to coat bottom and sides
Of 9x13 casserole dish
Add sausage mixture to bread mixture and mix well and then dump everything in the casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min.
Remove fold and bake an additional 10 to 15 min until top is brown and crispy.
Enjoy!!!

7 Likes