The 2019 Solitaire TriPeaks Thanksgiving Recipe Contest!

Sharon’s vanilla delight
*Preheat oven to 325°

Ingredients:
1 pkg. of Lorna Doone cookies
1 pkg. of cream cheese
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 large container of cool whip (16oz)
1 cup of powdered sugar
2 small pkgs. of instant vanilla pudding
3 1/4 cups of milk
3/4 cups of chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions:

1. In large bowl, blend together cookies, melted unsalted butter, and chopped walnuts. Press this mixture into a greased 13×9 pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  2. In another large bowl, blend together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and one cup of cool whip. Spread on top of baked crust.
  3. In another large bowl, blend vanilla pudding and the milk. Spread this on top of cream cheese mixture, then let set in refrigerator to chill and thicken for an hour.
  4. Spread rest of cool whip on top of dessert and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
    This recipe was a dessert that my mom, Sharon made every year for Thanksgiving. It was a family favorite. My mom passed away in 2003 from cancer and I continue to make this dessert in her memory.
3 Likes

Vegetables or Salad

Mimi’s not yo mama’s yams! By mimimimimimi
After decades of everyone turning up their noses at yams on Thanksgiving I finally found a way to get them to clamor for more!
Recipes served 4, double or triple it for more!
You will need:
1 large can of yams
1 can of peaches in syrup
1 can of pineapple
Brown sugar
Marshmallows
A touch of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350
Drain yams ( but not the fruit )
Cut up all canned ingredients into bite size pieces in a large casserole dish. Add the juices from the fruit. Sprinkle with generous amounts of brown sugar and add a little cinnamon. Let it soak a little while for all the flavors to marinade together. Bake for 40 minutes. Top with a thick layer of marshmallows and continue to bake until they are melted and golden.
I suggest that you make extra because everyone will want more!!

3 Likes

Pineapple fluff
Leigh Eckert
Category: dessert
Easy refreshing dessert, especially on a full stomach! My family loves it!
1 can crushed pineapple (drain some juice)
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 pint whipping creme

Fold all together and refrigerate till serving time.
Enjoy!

3 Likes

Bread Stuffing
2-3 loafs of bread, broken into small pieces
1 whole celery cut into small pieces
3-4 large onions, cut into small pieces
1 container low sodium chicken broth
Dried celery seed, and parsley for flavor
1 lb. Butter

In a large skillet put butter, celery, onion, celery seed, and parsley. Cook until soft. Cut up bread in small pieces and put in a large aluminum pan. Once celery pan is done, pour over bread and mix together. Add chicken broth. Bake at 350 until browned on top, about 1 1/2 hours. If making a Turkey you can add broth to bread also.

1 Like

Cranberry Relish
Leigh Eckert
Category: salad

1 3 oz pkg cranberry jello
1 3 oz pkg black cherry jello
1 cup hot water
1 can cranberry sauce (jellied)
1 can crushed pineapple

Dissolve jello in hot water and stir in beaten cranberry sauce and pineapples. Chill and set overnight.
ENJOY!!

3 Likes

Leigh’s Pineapple Stuffing
Leigh Eckert

My family really loves this recipe! Serving size is about 6. My family likes this stuffing plus stuffing from the bird so I only make 1 batch, but you can certainly double, triple etc. if you want to make this the only filling you serve! Hope you like it as much as my family does!!I

Category: stuffing

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
4 eggs
1 can crushed pineapple (drained well)
5 slices white bread (cubed)

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 9 inch baking pan.
In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter together. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add the pineapple. Finally, by hand mix in bread cubes.
Bake in oven for 1 hour, or until it has a nice brown crust. Let sit a few minutes to firm up before serving.

1 Like

Beth Gillespie- Dessert

FLUFFY STUFF
My son came up with the band for this! He will eat the entire bowl if I let him! It’s super simple and always a BIG HIT!

-1 tub Cool Whip
-1 pkg. strawberry Jell-o
-4 cans Dole tropical fruit salad (well drained)
-1 bag miniature marshmallows

In a large mixing/serving bowl combine Cool Whip and Jell-o. Stir until all whip is pink. Add fruit salad and marshmallows; toss to combine evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hrs. or overnight (the longer it sets the better it gets). Serve.

3 Likes

Corn Stuff

My grandchildren call ahead each year to make sure this is going to be made. They say they are not coming if it’s not gonna be made!!

1 can whole kernel corn (undrained)
1 can cream corn
1 box of jiffy cornbread mix
4 eggs
2 sticks of butter softened

Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. I use a glass 10x10 pan. Every oven is different…allow extra 15 minutes to bake if the center is still jiggly. Enjoy!!

2 Likes

Dressing they fight for!!

This combination is an old recipe that has been passed around the family for years. Some say it’s Dutch dressing but my family is Sicilian and Indian so there’s that!

6 medium potatoes
2 medium onions
2 1# loaves of bread
Sage
Poultry Seasoning
Celery Seed
4 eggs
1 stick butter

Peel and slice the potatoes, dice one of the onions and fry them together like making fried potatoes.
In a large bowl, tear up the bread, add eggs and seasoning. I use one tablespoon of the celery seed and poultry seasoning and add sage to my liking; this part is the dressing. Add the fried potatoes to your dressing mix and blend together. Bake covered at 350 for right about an hour. Should fit in a 9x13 baking pan.

3 Likes

Wild rice sausage stuffing -
This sounds delicious! How long do you cook it for?

1 Like

Roasted Cornish Hens:
Preheat oven to 375°. Gently lift skin from hen breasts and place sage leaves under skin. Place lemon wedges and a third of the onions in the cavities. Tuck wings under hens; tie legs together. Place in a small greased roasting pan. Combine butter, oil, lemon juice and garlic; spoon half of mixture over hens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 30 minutes. Add potatoes and remaining onions to pan. Brush hens with remaining butter mixture. Bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175° and potatoes are tender. Remove hens to a serving platter. Stir potatoes and onions to coat with pan drippings. Serve with hens.

• Ingredients
  • 2 Cornish game hens
  • 12 fresh sage leaves
  • 4 lemon wedges
  • 6 green onions, diced
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 6 small red potatoes cut in halves
    indent preformatted text by 4 spaces
2 Likes

Mt_dew_27@yahoo.com
My grandma is the only one in our family that can make this just right. Any family function she is asked to bring these. While making this dish it is ok to add ingredients a little at a time for taste. Desired sweetness made need more or less sugar.
**Creamed cucumbers **
Side dish category
2 cucumbers
1 teaspoon vinegar
3 tablespoons miracle whip
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons sugar

Slice cucumbers to desired thinnest slices. Whip together milk vinegar sugar. Add milk to make creamy. They are supposed to be sweet and creamy. A side dish that taste like a dessert.

1 Like

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Cookie Crust. INGREDIENTS

12 pecan sandie cookies, plus more for garnish

1/2 c. roasted salted pecans, plus more for garnish

3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

2 tbsp. granulated sugar

3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided

3 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, at room temperature

1 (8-oz.) container sour cream, at room temperature

1 c. packed light brown sugar

4 large eggs, at room temperature

1 (15-oz.) can pure pumpkin puree

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

3/4 tsp. ground ginger

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Sweetened whipped cream, for serving. DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle position. Pulse cookies and pecans in a food processor until finely ground, 10 to 15 times. Add butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pulse until well combined, 5 to 7 times. Press cookie mixture firmly into bottom of a 9" springform pan.
  2. Bake until edges begin to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
  3. Beat cream cheese, sour cream, and light brown sugar on medium speed with an electric mixer until blended and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. Add pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, beating until just until blended. Pour batter into crust.
  4. Bake until edges are set but center is still wobbly, 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven, with door closed, 1 hour. Remove from oven, and gently run a knife around outer edge of cheesecake to loosen from sides of pan. (Do not remove ring of pan.) Cool completely on a wire rack, at least 1 hour. Cover and chill, at least 8 hours.
  5. Remove ring and bottom of pan, and transfer cheesecake to a serving plate. Top with whipped cream and garnish with cookies and pecans.
3 Likes

‘Rac’ Salad

(Ridiculously Awesome Caesar Salad)

Marie Knight

Catagory: Veggie or Salad

I LOVE Caesar Salad but could never quite find one that wowed me. After experimenting, I finally hit the jack pot! Everyone always asks for this on those potluck occasions.

Ingredients:

-1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

-Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

-1 egg

-1 capful of lemon juice

-1 teaspoon Worcestershire

-3 large freshly pressed garlic cloves

-¼ teaspoon Keens mustard

-1 ½ large tablespoons mayo

-¾ cup of Original Bertolli Oil

(Has to be Bertolli or it will significantly change the taste!)

-1 head of Romaine lettuce

-8 Strips Freshly cooked, crispy bacon

-1 cup of Plain Croutons

Instructions:

In a small bowl add oil, garlic and aggressively whisk in the egg. Then add Keens mustard, continue to whisk. Next add lemon juice, Worchestershire, salt and three turns of freshly ground pepper.

Keep whisking vigorously and finally add the Mayo. Give it a last good whisk and set in the fridge to chill for an hour.

Wash and spin lettuce and break up bite sizes in large serving bowl.

Just before serving add Caesar dressing to the lettuce and toss. Slowly add ¾ cup of Parm. cheese and keep tossing. Add crispy bacon and croutons and keep tossing. Finish by adding the remaining ¼ cup of Parm. cheese on top of the salad. (Do not toss the last bit of Parm.)

Enjoy this Ridiculously Awesome Caesar Salad!

Happy Thanksgiving…or ANY occasion!

3 Likes

Kim

Spicy corn casserole

1 can white corn
1 can creamed corn
1 package cornbread mix
1 stick butter (the real stuff)
4-6 eggs
8 ounces sour cream

1. 8 ounce pepper jack cheese
    Mix all ingredients.
    Poor in casserole bowl
    Place in oven at 350. Bake for 1 hour
2 Likes

Dessert:

Grandma’s Extra Special Pistachio Pudding:

1 can crushed pineapple
1 8oz tub cool whip whipped topping thawed (do not use canned whipped topping for this receipe)
2 small boxed of pistachio pudding ( I usually use the Jell-o brand)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 10 oz bag of small marshmallows
1 large mixing bowl

Instructions: Make pistachio pudding according to the directions on the box; Open can of crushed pineapple. DO NOT DRAIN. Pour entire contents of can into your pudding, add bag of marshmallows, 1 cup of chopped pecans, and 1 tub of cool whip whipped topping. Mix thoroughly. Put in refrigerator to chill for one hour.

2 Likes

Loretta Whitten
Side dish
My daughter makes this for Thanksgiving every year & my husband could eat the whole thing!
Autumn’s corn casserole
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter melted (real butter)
1 egg
1 package Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
2 cups corn canned srained or frozen,
1 can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream

Optional Add-Ins
2 tablespoons minced onion or minced jalapeno peppers
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
(This is what she adds)
Crumbled Bacon

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2qt casserole dish and set aside.
Combine all ingredients and spread into the casserole dish.
Bake 45-55 minutes or until browned.

3 Likes

Fresh Orange Cake

1 Cup margarine ( I use butter)
2 Cups sugar
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup buttermilk
1 tsp. Soda
1 Cup chopped dates
1 Cup pecans
1 Cup coconut
2 Tbs. grated orange rind
3 Cups flour

Mix all together and bake in a greased and floured TUBE pan at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out
clean. Leave cake in pan and pour Icing over while cake is still hot. Leave in pan overnight or for several hours until cake absorbs all the icing.

Icing
1 Cup fresh orange juice
1 Box powdered sugar (3 1/2 cups)
2 Tbs. fresh orange rind
Mix together and pour over cake.

My Mother was born in 1913 and she always made this cake during the holidays. She had no specific temperature or length of time on her recipe. It makes a very dense and rich cake.

2 Likes

Leave it to me to get it on here twice! Lol I can’t get either one off, sorry I don’t know how I managed this.

1 Like

CRAWFISH CORNBREAD DRESSING
I’m a New Orleans native and have moved all over the country. What I miss most about home is the food, so I’m grateful that I learned how to cook from my mom…and Emeril in the 90’s! I made up this recipe a few years ago, and it has always been a hit at family and work functions. You can always adjust the spiciness by increasing or decreasing the cayenne and poblano. Enjoy!!

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped pablano
4 tbsp butter
1 can creamed corn
1 jar diced pimento (do not drain)
1 cup chopped jalapeno
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 package crawfish tails, chopped

Saute the onion, bell pepper, and pablano in butter. Mix together all of the ingredients. Bake at 375 deg F until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

1 Like