STP 2018 THANKSGIVING SIDE-DISH CONTEST!

First, read the story about the contest here: http://bit.ly/stp-blog-tday-recipes

And now - submit your recipes here! A few things to keep in mind:

1. Just ONE Recipe per category!

2. THEY MUST BE YOUR OWN, or from a family member. If you knowingly submit a recipe that’s been copyrighted in Tanya’s Tiki Table, you could get into legal trouble.

3. Recipes should follow typical recipe format:

- Name of Dish Every dish has to have a name! You can always add your own if you’ve given the recipe a twist to make it your own. Example:

Grandma's Candy Salad

- Optional intro Tell us any backstory or interesting anecdote that accompanies the recipe if you want. For example:

My grandmother used to ask us for all of our leftover Halloween candy around the 5th of November so she could make her famous Thanksgiving Candy Salad. This means every year it was slightly different, but always very sweet (and sometimes sour!)

- Ingredient and Measurement List: Make sure you haven’t mixed up your tablespoons and teaspoons! Here’s an example:

3 cups assorted, unwrapped, Halloween candy
2 bunches spinach
1 bunch kale
3 stalks of celery
4 green onions
1/2 teaspoon of ginger
1 small can tomato paste (8 oz)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 
Dash of vermouth

- Instructions: It’s great you’ve got all the ingredients, but now what do we do with them? Be as detailed as possible! Here’s an example:

Preheat oven to 550. Mix all the ingredients together. Bake for 5 minutes, and remove from oven. Allow to cool completely and stir so melted candies mix in with other ingredients. Garnish with a long swirl of children's toothpaste and serve immediately. Then await compliments on your creative cooking!

There you have it! Be sure to read the Official Rules for the 2018 Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipe Contest!

6 Likes

Green bean cassrole with sweet sausage

2 cans greens beans
Can of cream of mushroom
Cup milk
French onion can , its dried out onions a big can
Sweet sausage
And seasonings of your choice

Mix milk cream of mushroom and seasoning all together dont forget parsley !!
Mix all in a baking dish for 40 mins in 375 oven .
Cook sausage before mixing

This is called mommas green bean dish :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Mix crushed up French onion in and on top .

6 Likes

February Dessert
11/2c graham crackers crumbs
3/4c melted butter
2Tbsp sugar
Mix together put into 10x15 pan and bake for t 350 for 8 min
1lg pk Cream Cheese
11/2 cpowder sugar
1box of dream whip topping
2cans Cherry pie filling

Softened cream cheese and blend and powdered sugar then prepare you whip topping fold into cream cheese and mixture spread out over baking crust topped with cherries and chill for an hour

4 Likes

Salad category

World’s Best Salad

• 1 head iceberg lettuce
  • 1 head romaine lettuce
  • 1 can artichoke heart, drained
  • 1 red onion, sliced thin
  • 1 jar pimiento
  • 2⁄3 cup olive oil
  • 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
  1. Toss together the lettuce, artichoke hearts, onion, and pimento in a large salad bowl and set aside.
  2. Combine remaining ingredients ina container with a tight lid.
  3. Shake container vigorously until well-blended.
  4. Pour dressing onto salad and toss until well covered.

Yum!

4 Likes

Oma’s Red Cabbage

This is a German inspired dish that my mother, who was from Germany made every Thanksgiving (as well as Christmas and other special occasions). She uses the recipe that her mother made, and now I make it and taught my daughters. I call it Oma’s Red Cabbage because Oma means Grandmother in German.

You will need:
One head of red cabbage, halved and sliced in 1/4 inch thick
(Remove damaged outer leaves and remove core)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 stick butter (not margarine)
Tablespoon black peppercorns
Tablespoon whole cloves
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
Water

Melt butter in medium to large saucepan. Add onions and slightly sauté. Add sugar, vinegar, peppercorns, cloves, salt, & pepper. Add about a cup of water and stir well. Add sliced cabbage in small bunches and carefully blend with spice mixture until all cabbage is added. Add another cup or so of water. Do not cover cabbage with water; it will eventually cook down. Cook on low until cabbage is tender, about an hour & 1/2 to 2 hours. Add more water if it cooks out. You can adjust spices more or less according to taste.

PS - You do not have to eat the peppercorns and cloves. You can use a spice ball if you have one; I just never bothered with one. Have a Very Happy Thanksgiving!

4 Likes

Sage and Walnut Dressing

16-oz bag stuffing cubes
6 T unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan and topping
1 pound fresh sage sausage, casing removed (I use jimmy dean)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cooking apples, Gravenstein, Rome, or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 - 2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
1/2 t salt
3 C chicken broth
1/4 C chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 C walnut pieces, toasted (See Note)
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Put the stuffing cubes in a large bowl and set aside. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.

Melt 2 T of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until it loses most of its pink color, but not so much that it’s dry, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and pan drippings to the stuffing cubes. Melt the remaining butter in the pan. Add the onion, apple, celery, and salt. Cook until the vegetables get soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil.

Pour the vegetable mixture over the stuffing cubes and toss until evenly moistened. Mix in the walnuts and eggs. Loosely pack the dressing in the prepared pan and cook uncovered until the top forms a crust, about 40 minutes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of turkey pan drippings or melted butter over the top. Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes more. Set immediately or warm.

Tips: Put the dressing in the oven during the last hour of cooking the turkey
Note: To toast nuts, spread them out on a baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree F oven until golden, about 7 minutes.

2 Likes

Best Salad
Macaroni Salad
1 box of Elbow Noodles, follow directions on box
1 cup cheese cubed
1 cup celery
1 cup Sweet Pickles
1 cup Dill Pickles
1 cup Granny Smith Apple
Mix together, add 1 cup of Mayo and 1/2 cup of white sugar, 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
Drain Macaroni and run cold water through it, drain and mix with salad
Chill and serve

3 Likes

Tasty side dishes recipe contest

2 Likes

Category: Stuffing/healthy side/or possibly considered a warm salad. Maybe even tropical since coconut oil.
Squash dish. Can get fancier with Apple, sausage sweetened spiced squash. I made it up as something different, indulgent but less guilty at thanksgiving. The quantities are guesstimates b/c you can make as much or as little as you want and it’s the same concept and to taste.

1 md/lg butternut squash; md/lg cubes
1 md vadalia onion; diced
1 pkg (16-19oz) sweet Italian sausage; out of casings so ground
4-5 md/lg Macintosh apples (any cooking apples work. Green works if you want some tart); peeled,slice+halved.
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4-1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil; melted (enough to lightly coat squash but not saturate)
1-2tbsp nonsalted butter
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
Spice mix: 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp fresh nutmeg (makes a difference in life), 1/8 tbsp ground ginger and clove. If you use premixed pumpkin spice, still add a little fresh ground nutmeg. Keep aside since you will need it throughout.
Salt & Pepper

What to do:
Preheat oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Take peeled/diced squash and toss in melted coconut oil. (You can use any other oil. I use this because it’s healthier and adds another layer of flavors). Sprinkle some spice mix while coating to season. Spread out on baking sheet with foil and nonstick spray(helps with turning while cooking and clean up). Sprinkle more spice mix if seems needed. Make sure they are not crowded so they don’t steam. Roast for 30-45 mins. This may vary on size of chunks and ovens. When done, they can be put aside, cool and can even freeze if you want to continue later.
In the meantime, brown sausage out of casings, break apart. I like them to be smaller then pecans but still hearty. Drain and can be put on the sidelines.
In a large sauté pan, cook onions in a little oil (coconut works or others) until a little caramelized. Md/low works best to get there. Then salt and pepper added. Add butter, let melt and add apples. Sprinkle lemon juice over apples evenly. This avoids them getting an ugly brown and also, a little citrus is always a good thing. Spice mix sprinkle on apples and then mix it to cook evenly. I usually move closer to medium heat at this point to cook without making it to mushy. As it get tender, taste. Add salt, pepper or spices as needed. Next, add syrup and sausage. I corporate and taste. This would be a good time to add any more seasonings that are needed. The flavor is going to be concentrated at this point so keep in mind. I add the pecans with just a few minutes left of cooking.
Depending on the amount, I usually transfer to a large bowl while mixing in the roasted squash. I check seasonings again, then transfer into casserole dishes. I cool and freeze if the extra or fridge if for thanksgiving. I top with some more pecans if I want then baked covered at 350 degrees F for 25-30 mins and uncovered for another 10. To warm it and brown the top.
It has a lot of separate steps but it’s worth it and can be frozen at any stage. It’s amzinglt versatile too. I have it with Turkey/mashed potatoes, on its own or even w/ eggs over medium on it like a hash. If you make sure to use ghee instead of butter, it is Paleo diet friendly too.

2 Likes

Island inspired submission:

Cheesy Raspberry Chipotle Volcano Chip N Dip

Cream cheese - two 16oz blocks
Ranch dressing & seasoning packet - one 1oz
Crushed pineapple, well drained - one 8oz can
Chopped walnuts - 2 cups (or about 8oz)
Fischer’s raspberry chipotle sauce - one 16 oz bottle
Wheat thins - one box

This dish is erupting with flavor! In a large bowl, mix 2 blocks of cream cheese with one Ranch seasoning packet and small can of crushed pineapple. Empty onto serving platter and shape into a volcano. Be sure to include a shallow hole at the top and winding paths down the sides for your lava dip! Press the chopped walnuts onto the sides and lastly fill the top and paths with Fischer’s raspberry chipotle sauce. Serve with wheat thins. Serves 4-6 people but you can double or triple the ingredients for a larger volcano to feed everyone at your Thanksgiving gathering!

2 Likes

Baked Brussels Sprouts

• 1 1/2 pounds ) Brussels Sprouts
  • 2 Tablespoons ) Olive Oil
  • 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced or crushed
  • 1 Tablespoon ) Balsamic Vinegar
  • Kosher Salt, to taste
  • Fresh Cracked Pepper, to taste
  • about 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
  1. Preheat oven to roast at 400°F.
  2. Wash and rinse the Brussels sprouts. Peel the loose, outer leaves. Trim the end, then cut Brussels sprouts in half.
  3. In an oven-safe dish, cast iron pan, or sheet pan, toss together the Brussels sprouts, olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar. Spread the Brussels sprouts into an even layer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste
  4. Roast in oven for about 20 minutes, then gently toss and mix the Brussels sprouts.
  5. Bake Brussels sprouts for another 20 minutes, or until the Brussels sprouts are tender.
  6. Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly over top of Brussels sprouts and bake for another 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  7. Serve warm.
2 Likes

Side dish healthy. maple bacon parmesan green beans
2cans French style green beans (drained)
8slices bacon
I/4cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canned parmesan cheese
Black pepper 1tsp.
Olive oil 1tsp.
In a frying pan cut up bacon in 1inch pieces and add 1 tsp Olive oil. Cook and then drain leaving about 2tsp of bacon grease with cooked bacon.
. Add maple syrup then add green beans stir. Add black pepper and parmesan cheese. Cook everything on medium heat. Cook until hot.enjoy!

1 Like

PINEAPPLE HAM STUFFING

This recipe is easy with a Capital E!

1 box of cornbread stuffing mix.
1 small can of crushed pineapple
1 Cup chopped ham
Optional: Small can of green chilis

Prepare stuffing mix by instructions on box reducing the water by 1/2. Add crushed pineapple and chopped ham to water, butter and seasonings. Mix well before adding dry stuffing. Then bake at recommended temperature and time on box. I like to heat it up with diced green chili’s but that’s optional.

2 Likes

Interesting… we have a very similar family favorite but with pickle relish instead of the pickles and no apples. It is my husbands favorite! I may have to try this version and see how the family likes it! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Cheesy Potatoe Casserole
Ingredients
14 potatoes medium size
1 container of French onion dip (12 to 16 oz)
2 medium onions
2 cups of bacon already cooked or smoked sausage
12 to 16 oz of shredded cheese ( I use cheddar &sometimes put American slices on top)
Salt
Pepper
Cream of Potatoe Soup (small can I use Campbell’s)
1/2 stick of butter melted
Directions
Preheat oven 350 degrees
Peel and cube potatoes then boil until potatoes still have some firmness usually no longer than 7-8 minutes then drain and set aside to cool.
Next mix ingredients together except for half of the cheese into mixture then add potatoes when cooled.
Coat a baking dish with cooking spray of choice
Put ingredients in baking dish let baked for 30 approximately
Put rest of cheese on top
Baked for 15 minute or until cheese looks melted to ur desire
Let sit and cool to firm up
My family loves this I hope yours does too
Happy Thanksgiving

1 Like

Baked sweet potato casserole with pineapple and topped with pecans.

Fruit salad with pineapple, mandarin orange, cocanut cram sauce marching cherries, bananas and apples

2 Likes

Categor: Red lava Home made cranberry Sauce!
Ingredients:
A bag if fresh cranberries
1 shallot
1 cup sugar
1T of butter
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of cinnamon
Water as needed

First! Prep the shallots. Cut into thin rounds. Get all your ingredients out!
Heat shallow pan on Med heat
Add butter and let melt then add the shallots cook until fragrent…I love that smell mmm OK!
Add the cranberries and about 1/4 cup of water. Let the cranberries soften and BURST open crush with a wooden spoon while mixing and cooking. Keep adding 1T water as it starts to dissipate while cooking until you get a thick mixture.
Add the sugar and mix well. Some like it sweeter like me so I add more.
Then stir the nutmeg and cinnamon into the sauce.
Serve warm.

I like to serve with some creamy goat cheese!

2 Likes

Category: Healthy side
Roasted veggies made with coconut oil.
Ingredients:
1 Baking apple of your choice
1 Butternut squash
1 Baking Patato
2 Good sized shallots
Candies Pecans
Coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Prep:
Preheat oven to 400°F
Peel and clean Squash. Dice into cubes. Dice potato about same size. Dice Apple (or 2) into same size cubes. Slice shallots into thick slices.

Put shallots and apples aside
Put potato and Squash into a bowl and ad coconut oil salt and pepper until coated;mix well. Put on Large Baking sheet. Cover with foil and Bake for 20 Minutes. While that is Baking add the apple and shallots into the bowl add oil as needed mix well. Add to the squash and patatoes. Cook until veggies are softened.
Let cool add candied pecans for a nice crunch!

1 Like

SIDE DISH
Potato married Sausage

1 bag of red potatoes.
I round of summer sausage ( hickory farms is what I use)
Melted Cheese

Cut potatoes in half and put them in a cake pan or an aluminum foil pan. Add half a cup of water cover the pan with foil (water is used for steaming the potatoes)
Put them in the oven at 400 degrees until they are soft (ussually 30 to 45 mins)
Once they are done take them out and cut up the sausage and add them to the potatoes.
Add the melted cheese and mix it all together.
Add some shredded cheese to the top (optional) .
Put it back I.tothe oven for 15 mins .
Take it out and mix it one more time and then enjoy!!!:hugs:
Tina rollison

1 Like