STP 2018 THANKSGIVING SIDE-DISH CONTEST!

First of all, I did not like brussel sprouts until I had some of my sister’s Brussels sprouts! This recipe is based on her recipe, I added the lemon juice for sparkle and Kosher salt for presentation. I chose Kosher salt because it doesn’t go gray when it is heated.

Bacony Goodness Brussel sprouts
1 lb Brussel sprouts cut in half
3 strips thick bacon diced
Sprinkle of Kosher salt
Juice of half a lemon

Heat pan to very hot and add bacon. Fry until golden then remove and add Brussel sprouts. Feel free to add some more oil to keep sprouts from burning. Keep stirring until golden, almost dark. Natural sugars in the Brussel sprouts will help with the browning. Throw in the bacon and heat until the bacon is warmed up, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, squeeze juice all over the Brussel sprouts and lightly toss. Lightly sprinkle some Kosher salt over the Brussel sprouts, not too much as it has some salt from the bacon. Serve hot.

2 Likes

The holidays best deviled eggs
Every holiday for the past 14 years my fiance and I would share a secret dish we would not tell each other our recipes. For the first time in 14 yrs we are spending the holidays apart so I want to share it with you guys

John’s holiday eggs

12 eggs
1/2 cup mayo(fat free)
2 tbl spoons mustard
Tsp pepper
Tsp salt
1/4 cup pickle juice
Dash of Tabasco
Boil 12 eggs
Paprika

Cut the 12 eggs in half place on tray put the yolks in a bowl mash the yolks add mayo, mustard salt pepper stir to creamy add pickle juice and Tabasco and stir in. take a tablespoon and evenly add to half eggs top with a pinch of paprika and chill for 1 hour

3 Likes

Low-Carb Meat Stuffing

A Holiday Favorite of my Family for years

1/2 C Pecans
1/2 C Pine Nuts
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Medium Small Diced Onion
8 oz Pork Sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
1 C Roughly Chopped Parsley
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Black Pepper / Salt to taste
2 Large Eggs

Directions
Toast pecans and pine nuts on separate cookie sheet in 350 degree oven (watch closely as not to burn) once they begin to smell nutty and take on color they are done - I will move nuts around to get more even toasting. If you use halved pecans break in halve.

In a large cast iron skillet (I prefer)sauté diced onion in olive oil for a few minutes then add sausage until browned - I break up sausage With a spoon - do it cover and cook slowly as not to burn. Once cooked gently stir in remaking ingredients except the two eggs. Whisk eggs in separate bowl then gently fold into sausage mixture- transfer into greased dish ( I use butter) - bake in oven for 25 minutes in 350 degree oven.

Because this is a Holiday favorite of my family I normally double or triple this recipe adjusting the cook time accordingly. I always prepare more sausage because it smells so good I get multiple visitors to my kitchen and the sausage has a tendency to diminish the more visitors I get, go figure -hope you love one of our Holiday favorites! From our Family to yours Happy Thanksgiving :blush: ENJOY!

2 Likes

Sweet mushroom starter.

Serves 1
1 Large flat mushroom
Soft goats cheese
Handful of honey roast cashews.
1 teaspoon of honey.
Rocket leaves to serve

Preheat oven to 160.
Scoop out stalk and inside of mushroom.
Stuff mushroom with goats cheese.
Crush cashews and sprinkle on top of goats cheese
Drizzle teaspoon of honey on top and roast until mushroom is soft and goats cheese has melted.
Serve on a bed of rocket.

2 Likes

This recipe is so easy kids can make it!!!
Trichocolate cream pie!!
First you need a box of hot cocoa
1 pack of cream cheese
1 container of whipped cream (frozen or refrigerated)
One package of cookies or Graham crust
(Some cookies are better then the old fashion Graham cracker crust)
3tbs of Coconut oil melted
A pinch of salt

In a bowl make your crust with cookies or Graham. Add a pinch of salt and the coconut oil. You should have enough crust to fill an 8 inch or 9 inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl mix together the cream cheese whipped topping you can add nuts if you like for some crunch. Then put in your hot cocoa may need a mixer for this on high speed or you will be mixing with manually for a long time. Lol.
Once filling is mixed until it’s nice creamy chocolatey goodness place it in the pan on top of your crust refrigerate for one hour and serve as desired.

I make this for every event and it serves a lot not like normal pies. I hope you enjoy it. Sunshineketchum
Agent_nn_sunshine@Yahoo. Com!

2 Likes

Cheesy Brussel Sprout Casserole

PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 15 MINS

COOK TIME: 0 HOURS 20 MINS

TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 35 MINS

INGREDIENTS

5 slices bacon

3 tbsp. butter

2 small shallots, minced

2 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved

Kosher salt

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

3/4 c. heavy cream

1/2 c. shredded sharp white cheddar

1/2 c. shredded Gruyère

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, 8 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, then chop. Discard bacon fat.
  2. Return skillet to medium heat and melt butter. Add shallots and Brussels sprouts and season with salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and drizzle with heavy cream, then top with both cheeses and bacon.
  4. Bake until cheese is bubbly, 12 to 15 minutes. (If your cheese isn’t golden, switch oven to broil and broil 1 minute.)
2 Likes

Hawaiian Baked Beans

Yield 10

Ingredients

• 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1 ⁄4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 ⁄2 lb cubed cooked ham (cubed ham steak works well)
  • 3 ⁄4 cup ketchup
  • 8 ounces crushed pineapple , drained well
  • 8 ounces pineapple tidbits , drained well
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
  • 1 1 ⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients and pour into prepared dish.

3. Cover with foil and bake at 350 F for 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more.

2 Likes

Side Dish: Sweet Potato Feta Cheese Bites

This recipe was introduced at Thanksgiving by my mom the year she passed from cancer. We make it every year in her honor.

What you need:
3 long, thin sweet potatoes, peeled (about 1 and 1/2 lbs)
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
Tbsp chopped fresh chives
Ground black pepper

Let’s put it all together:

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.

1. Cut potatoes into 30 (3/4-inch-thick) rounds. With a melon baller, carefully scoop a pocket into each potato piece, being careful not to scoop through bottoms; discard scooped-out portion.

2. Combine potato pieces, 1 Tbsp of the oil, and garlic in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread the potatoes out on the baking sheet, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.

3. Roast until potatoes are just tender and edges are starting to brown, 18-20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, mash feta, chives and remaining 1 tsp oil together in a small bowl. Season with pepper to taste.

5. Remove potatoes from oven and put some of the feta mixture in the dug out area

6. Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes

Serve warm and enjoy!

1 Like

Low Carb Broccoli Casserole
I made this up while doing low carb diet. Now everyone wants it!
4 cups broccoli , if frozen heat in microwave or fresh steam for a few minutes.
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 onion chopped
2 eggs
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup grated sharp cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix together in large bowl. Transfer to 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350f for 35-45 minutes.

1 Like

Delaware Sister’s Shrimp Boat Side Dish
My sister and I were charged with 2003 Thanksgiving dinner prep because Mom was not feeling well. Well, we brined the turkey, opted for roast beef instead of ham and did not want mashed potatoes this time and wanted to make it a Surf and Turf. Viola! We love baked potatoes and we love shrimp - so we came up with a twice baked potatoes with shrimp! Simple Thanksgiving side dish recipe!
Delaware Sisters’ Shrimp Boat Side Dish
Ingredients:
8 Yukon Gold baking potatoes - better for those watching carbs
8 oz light sour cream
8 oz light cheddar
1 lb jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined and rough chopped or 1.5 lbs small shrimp, not chopped
Sea salt
Old Bay
2 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzle
Parsely
●Preheat the oven to 350°F
•Line a pan with foil
•Thoroughly wash potatoes and towel dry
•Prick the pitatoes with a fork and coat each with olive (and sea salt if desired, we eat the skin!)
•Bake the potatoes one hour or until done to a gentle give
•Sautee shrimp in olive oil and Old Bay to taste
•Cut potatoes in half and gently scoop out
•Mix sauteed shrimp, cheese and sour cream (judge amount best for you, we like ours creamy) and add sea salt to taste
•Top with more shrimp, drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle
with Old Bay and parsely - sprinkle with more cheddar if preferred
•Bake for 20 minutes
CAUTION HOT - ENJOY!

1 Like

Candied Carrots side dish

Peel, trim and slice 2 pounds of carrots
Boil in a large pan until soft
Transfer to casserole dish
Add 3 tbs butter
2 tbs brown sugar
Black pepper to taste
Bake in oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes

2 Likes

My sister has Chron’s Disease but still wanted to eat veggies. So I created this dish to have something to cut down on all the heavy carbs and to use some veggies that she could eat.

Amy’s Spaghetti Squash with popping cranberries!

1 large spaghetti Squash
2cups baby spinach
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 to 1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
2-3 cloves minced garlic.
Salt & pepper.
Feta or Parmesan Cheese to taste optional
Bake Spaghetti Squash at 350 degree’s face down in a baking dish with a little water. This can be done a day or 2 in advance. Bake for 30 to 40mins so that the Squash is fork tender. Allow to cool… Then shred like Spaghetti. Then drain it a little in a cheese cloth or clean dish towel to get rid of some of the moisture.

Heat a sautée Pan with a little olive oil. Next add your spinach and allow it to wilt a little and add your garlic. Next add your Spaghetti Squash, cranberries, and start with a 1/4 of Balsamic Vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. You may need more balsamic vinegar depending on the size of the Squash. Cook all of it together for 10-15 till the balsamic vinegar gets absorbed.

Sprinkle with a little Feta or Parmasan cheese.

Hope you enjoy!

1 Like

Grandma Scott’s Pistachio Pudding Salad

1 box instant pistachio pudding
1 9oz container Cool Whip
1 16oz can pineapple chunks
2 cups small marshmallows
1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together Cool Whip and pudding powder until it turns green. Drain off juice of pineapple and save. Add pineapple to mixture. Add marshmallows and nuts. Fold ingredients into mixture until blended. Add some pineapple juice if it seems too dry. Refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.

1 Like

Best salad recipe and could be healthiest as well

Spring mix and pear salad

This is a very simple salad but people rave about it every time I make it and request it when they come to my home!

• 8 to 16 ounces spring mix, depending on how much you want to make
  • 2 ripe pears ( can substitute Mandarin oranges)
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup raw unsalted walnut halves (walnuts work best but could substitute pecans if you prefer)
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup Feta cheese
  • Aged balsamic vinegar ( I generally go to the olive oil store and get either a pear balsamic or good aged balsamic. Otherwise, I prefer at least 25 years at the grocery store)
  • Olive oil ( I generally get a walnut olive oil at the olive oil shop, or a good extra virgin olive oil will do as well)
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Assemble the salad by putting washed spring mix in a large serving bowl
  2. Sprinkle feta and halved walnuts in to your preferred amount. I generally use around 8 ounces of spring mix with 1/3 of a cup of crumbled feta and a 1/2 cup halved walnuts. You can also candy your walnuts or pecans if you would like, I prefer the healthier route of raw, unsalted nuts.
  3. Peel and slice the pears. You can slice these as deadly as you like but I prefer to have at least a quarter inch slice. For a more decorative luck you could thinly slice the pairs and fan them along the top of the salad.

Dressing:

1. Make your dressing by putting 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of balsamic into a jar or something that can be shaken or mixed.
  2. Sprinkle in a small amount of Salt and pepper
  3. Shake the olive oil and vinegar mixture rigorously and then taste. If I have a very good balsamic I will do a larger amount of balsamic. Sometimes I will do twice as much balsamic as I do olive oil but you can experiment to your liking.

The salad can be served dry and people can add their own dressing. I like to put everything in the bowl and toss with the dressing and serve it that way. I find it mixes better and people prefer it.

One option is to toss just the spring mix in the dressing and layer the other ingredients on top for presentation. Or toss the salad with the walnuts and feta and then fan that the pears on top.

1 Like

Papa’s jello Salad

1 small box of strawberry jello
1 box instant pudding cheesecake flavor
1 container of cool whip
2 bananas sliced
1 can mandarin oranges drained
1 jar maraschino cherries drained
1 can of pineapple tidbits (dont drain)
1 can of fruit cocktail (dont drain)

In a large mixing bowl dump in your pineapple and fruit cocktail add in jello and pudding mixes and stir until combined.
Fold in whipped cream and then add in remaining fruits.
Refrigerate for 1 hour prior to serving or make the night before.

1 Like

Aunties Stuffing Balls

8 slices of whole wheat bread
8 slices of hard Italian bread - toast bread in oven to garden
1/2 cup whole cranberry sauce
1/4 cup pecans
2 stalks of celery chopped
1/2 medium Vidalia onion chopped
1/8 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/3 cup egg beaters
1/4 cup warm water needed
Pinch of safe
Pinch of thyme
1tsp rosemary
1 can cream of celery soup

Mix all ingredients together. You want the mix to be moist. Add additional veggie broth if needed.soup

Roll into portion size balls and place in a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with no stuck
Do not allow the stuffing balls to
touch while baking
Cover the tops of the stuffing balls with cream of celery soup
Cover with foil.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Remove foil and bake seven minutes uncovered

Enjoy

1 Like

Island Recipe Side Dish
Kaneohe Acai Bowl
Ingredients (per serving)
5 ice cubes
1 frozen Acai berry concentrate pack (I prefer
Samboza)
6 oz. Juice (use your favorite-I like grape, berry lemonade, or fruit punch)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit (island mix- should include pineapple, mango, and strawberries)
1/2 cup additional fresh or frozen berries
Toppings (pick your favorites)
Sprinkle of granola
Fresh shaved coconut
Raisins or Craisins
Thinly Sliced almonds
Sliced banana, mango, strawberries, passion fruit
Whole blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, goji berries
Add a drizzle of honey if you like

Directions:
Blend the first three ingredients in a blender until smooth (no ice lumps left)
Add the fresh or frozen fruit and blend completely (should be smooth but little bits of fruit remaining is fine)
Pour into a bowl
Top with your preference of fresh ingredients
I prefer granola, coconut, raisins, sliced banana, sliced strawberries, sliced mango, blueberries and goji berries.
Remember, it is an island recipe so go wild!

2 Likes

Best Island Inspired Salad

I call this Yogi’s Taste of Hawaii. It’s made with Coconut (my favorite), mandarin oranges, fruit cocktail, pineapple and mini marshmallows, with the most important ingredient being Cool Whip.

You will need:
1 can of mandarin oranges
1 can of fruit cocktail
1 can of pineapple
1 bag of coconut flakes
1 bag of mini marshmallows
1 container of Cool Whip

Here’s what you do:
Open and drain the canned fruit. You can pour the juice into a tall glass. Empty the cans of fruit into a nice size bowl. Depending on how much you like coconut start by putting in half a bag and gently folding ingredients together add a bit more or the whole bag. Next fold in the marshmallows about half the bag or more; if it appears dry put in about a one or two tablespoons of the drained juice in the glass. Last but not least fold in the Cool Whip, usually the whole container.
The cool thing about this recipe is you can add your own flair to it. More fruit or less, just your favorite ones. Make it your own.
Oh and if you enjoy drinking the juices from the canned fruit it’s already to go for you.
Bon A Pettit
Hope you enjoy this side dish as much as I do.

1 Like

Salad

Ingredients:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Red onion
Bacon bits
2 boiled egg
Shredded cheese
The juice from a jar of banana peppers

All you do is cut up all your veggies and mix them together, cut up your boiled eggs, add the shredded cheese and bacon bits, and then top it with the juice from the banana peppers as your topping and let sit for about an hour to marinate. It’s so delicious and so simple!

1 Like

Here is a dessert one:
1 pie crust
1 box of strawberries
1 box of raspberries
1 box of blackberries
1 box of blueberries
1 cup of cool whip
1 packet of vanilla flavor topping

Mix the topping and cool whip together until it’s fluffy
Then add the fruit in a circle with each fruit.

1 Like