STP 2018 THANKSGIVING SIDE-DISH CONTEST!

Stuffing recipes:
Easy Harvest Stuffing
I have a small family but they each like something different in the stuffing, so I decided to incorporate all their favorites together. So here it is.
1 stick butter
1 small onion diced
1 small peeled apple diced
1 stalk celery diced
1/2 cup cranberries chopped
1/4 lb. Portuguese linguica or chourico or sausage chopped
(optional) if you like meat stuffing
2 cups Turkey broth
1 pkg. any brand corn bread stuffing

Melt butter in large fry pan. Add the vegetables and cranberries and cook till they are tender. Add the meat if you chose to make it this way. Saute until the meat gets a little brown. Add broth and bring to boil. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before stuffing the Turkey.
This stuffing makes the Turkey very moist.
Bon appetit!

1 Like

Grandma’s Hawaiian Brownies

5 cups of rice flour
Half and 1lb bad of dark brown sugar
2 cans of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of baking powder
Seaseme seeds

Heat oven to 350’ degrees
Mix all ingredients except seaseme seeds into large bowl
Grease 9x13 metal cake pan. NO GLASS PAN. It won’t cook right.
Pour mixed ingredients into pan.
Sprinkle the sesame seeds over brownies
Put in oven for 50 minutes
Take out and let cool down and enjoy

Paul Gregory

5 Likes

Sounds delicious @Paul_Gregory! And it’s gluten and dairy free! Yay! I’m going to try this one. Just to confirm though, that’s 1/2 of a 1 lb bag of dark brown sugar, right?

1 Like

Sage Sausage Stuffing with Craisins and Walnuts

This has evolved over the years and is our family favorite

1 16 oz. Roll Sage Sausage
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 Stalks Celery, cleaned and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup Craisins
1 package Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix
Warm Water
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, brown sausage over medium heat. Drain grease and set aside. In the same pan, melt butter. Add celery, onions, Craisins and walnuts. Cook until onions are translucent but do not brown. Add browned sausage and mix well. Add stuffing mix. Add water until desired consistency is reached. Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

1 Like

Super simple savory spinach salad!
This is our families take on a local restaurant favorite!
5 cups of fresh spinach
3/4 cup of feta crumbles (more or less to taste)
1/4 of a red onion loosely chopped
1/2 cup walnuts loosely chopped
Boiled egg sliced
2 slices of Chopped up cooked bacon
Toss all ingredients together
Dressing
1 1/2 cup EVOO
1cup balsamic vinegar
2 tsp dried basil
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
Mix well drizzle over salad

2 Likes

Best Salad Category:

Grandma’s Cranberry Salad

Ingredients:
1 14 oz. can cranberry jelly
1 cup hot water
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
1 package cherry jello
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 or 2 apples

directions:
Add cranberry jelly and hot water to medium sauce pan. Crush jelly with fork then bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour mixture over cherry jello. Stir until blended. Refrigerate the until partially set, about an hour. Add the can of crushed pineapple, chopped celery, chopped apples in bite size pieces and nuts. Refrigerate until set

My Grandma passed this recipe down to my Mom and then to me. We always make this salad for the Holidays. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without it.

1 Like

Daddy O’s Thanksgiving tropical fruit salad!

My dad made this yummy, easy salad every Thanksgiving for our family and it will be continued in mine, and now maybe yours
 Enjoy!

Serves 10-12 people

Fruit salad ingredients:

1 can of fruit cocktail (drained)
1 can of crushed pineapple (drained)
1 jar of maraschino cherries (drained)
1 can of mandarin oranges (drained)
1/2 package or more of mini marshmallows
1 pint of real whipped cream made with sugar and vanilla extract
1-2 cups of shredded coconut
1 cup of chopped Walnuts (optional)
1 -4 bananas sliced

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients except whipped cream, marshmallows and bananas in large bowl.

In separate bowl; make whipped cream with
(4 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract add last)

Fold whipped cream to mixed fruit in bowl.
Add bananas and coconut into mix.

Add marshmallows till all mixed and walnuts.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Enjoy!
Serve on the side in smaller dish with Thanksgiving dinner! Gobble, gobble!
From, Gonzigirl! :blush:

1 Like

Dessert Salad category
Just Like Heaven

I container of Cool Whip that has been thawed
1/2 c. mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 c. crushed pineapple, drained (save juice)
1/4 c. Walnuts
1/4 c. Coconut
1/2 c. Softened cream cheese

Directions- mix all ingredients together. If salad appears dry, you can add a little pineapple juice a little at a time. Feel free to customize to your liking.

1 Like

Portuguese Salad
Hi everyone, in my country we dont celebrate Thanks Giving, but im sending a delicious reciepe.
Ingredients: (as much you see will be necessary)
Chiken in bytes
Ham in cubes
Cheese ( your favourite) in cubes
Letuce
How to prepare:
Make a mix with the chiken, ham and cheese.
Put the letuce on the plate, next put the mix you made on top.
You can put the sauce you like (exemple: mayo).
And is ready to eat.
Enjoy and happy Thanks Giving!

3 Likes

Grandmas Dressing

2lbs gizzards
1lb hamburger
1lb sausage
8 - 10 stalks celery, chopped
4 med onions, diced
6 - 8 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
10 bouillon cubes
2 envelopes of brown gravy mix
6 + cups of minute rice
6 hot dog buns, toasted
Salt & pepper

Cook hamburger and sausage, drain grease. Cook gizzards until tender. Drain fat. Dice the gizzards. Add to hamburger and sausage. Cover with water. Add celery, onion, and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Add bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. Add brown gravy. Simmer for a few hours. Add rice. Cook for a while. Add toasted buns. Cook some more. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour into very large casserole dish (I use 2 13x9 foil pans sprayed with Pam) bake until hot through and crusty on the edges. Can be frozen until needed.

This recipe is enough for 50 people. Enjoy!

1 Like

Goat Cheese Dip

• goat cheese
  • cream cheese
  • sundried tomatoes
  • spinach

Chop the sundried tomatoes and spinach and mix with the cheeses! It’s that easy! Use equal parts goat cheese and cream cheese and equal parts sundried tomatoes and spinach.

I just eyeball it, no measuring involved. Since both cheeses are white, I find it’s easier to tell if they’re thoroughly mixed if you mix each one of the veggies with one of the cheeses first before mixing both mixtures together because they will turn red and green.

Then grab your favorite pretzels and snacking veggies and dip away!

This also makes a delicious stuffing for chicken! I’ve never tried it in turkey, but I’m sure that would be yummy too!

I usually make this dip for everyone to snack on while cooking Thanksgiving dinner so we don’t starve while waiting.

This entry is for the tasty, healthy side category.

3 Likes

Best Island Inspired Side:

Frog Eye Salad
My mother in law makes this for Thanksgiving every year. Her mother made it for Thanksgiving growing up. It’s very untraditional but always a hit with the kids especially!

1 cup Acini de Pepe pasta
2/3 cup sugar
1 TBSP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg - beaten
2/3 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp lemon juice
2 (8 oz) cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 to 1.5 cups miniature marshmallows
1 carton Cool Whip

1. Mix sugar, flour, salt in a saucepan. Stir pineapple juice into beaten egg. Combine with saucepan mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Set aside to cool.
  2. Cook Acini de Pepe in boiling water for 6-8 minutes. Drain and rinse.
  3. Combine cooked sauce with cooked Acini de Pepe. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes.
  4. Once cooled, stir in the well drained fruit, marshmallows and Cool Whip. Chill another hour before serving.
1 Like

Nutty Green Bean Bundles (side dish)

Ingredients:

2 lbs. fresh green beans
1/4 c butter
1/2 c chopped macadamia nuts
1 lb. thick sliced bacon
1 c macadamia nut syrup

Directions:

Blanche green beans and set aside. Cook bacon, not too crisp, and remove excess grease on paper towels. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and add syrup and 1/2 of the chopped macadamia nuts. Simmer 10 minutes. Set aside.

Wrap bacon around groups of green beans (approximately 10 beans) and secure with a tooth pick. Lay the bundles in a baking dish and drizzle with the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining nuts over the bundles.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

The syrup should crisp the bacon. If not, place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Best Stuffing Dish

1 loaf of your favorite bread
3 eggs (medium or large)
1/2 c. Milk (may need 1 c.)
2 cans creamed soup (mushroom, broccoli, chicken, etc.)
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. Onion powder
1 tsp. Garlic salt
1 medium onion or 1/2 c. Minced onion
1/2 stick real salted butter

Dice the loaf of bread and lay in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake the cubes on 175°F for about 15-20min. Just enough to dry them out a bit.

While bread is baking, melt butter in a pan or small pot, sauté onions (if using minced onions, let them get a tad soft)

Remove from heat, add eggs & whisk, add soup & milk. (depending on the size of load of bread used, you may need to add up to a cup of milk)

Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well. In a large bowl add bread cubes. Pour in the mixed wet ingredients and mix gently with a spatula or with your hands (my favorite mixing tool :wink::joy:).

Grease a cake pan (I like glass). Roll mix into roughly 1-2 inch balls (preference really). Put them into In a single layer, They should be touching. Then, mix the second can creamed soup as indicated on the can and pour over the stuffing balls.

Bake on 375°F for 30min - 1 hour (baking time varies based on how big you make the balls) you could also just spread the mix out like a cake and poke holes for the soup to seap through. Enjoy!!!

This is my MILs recipe!! I absolutely love them! Hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving! There is so much to be grateful for! If you’re breathing, you have a reason!! Blessings and good luck in the contest!

2 Likes

Making sure everyone has a full bellys is my recipes

2 Likes

Here is my dad’s recipe for homemade stuffing:
✓2-3 loaves of bread (break apart and mush together)
✓Cut up celery stalks and spread all throughout the mashed bread pieces
✓Add some chicken broth to moisten the bread but don’t make it too mushy
✓Onions cut into small pieces and spread
throughout the stuffing
✓Add stuffing seasoning
✓Then put it in the oven until nice and crispy outer look
Then enjoy at dinner!!!

2 Likes

Dang it now I want brownies lol those sound delicious @Paul_Gregory.

1 Like

Winni’s February Dessert, we call this Cherries in the Snow. Our crust is a little different, it has crushed pecans, butter, flour, and brown sugar. This is a really rich, family favorite.

1 Like

Potato salad and deviled eggs
this is what I always make because it is always requested very basic recipe and easy to make.
There are no exact measuring it’s done all by side and taste. Whatever amount of potatoes that you want, you peel and dice and two cubes not too small but not too big and boil them till they are tender. You didn’t strain poor into a ball add Kraft mayonnaise which is what I like mustard generous amount sweet relish generous amount and you also dice up some boiled eggs salt pepper to taste. Now fold gently best to use a large spoon fold gently until mixed evenly. The deviled eggs are very easy just take the egg yolks out of the boiled eggs crush them add Kraft mayonnaise sweet relish mustard salt and pepper to taste. I always put the mixture in a ziplock bag and then snip one corner of the bag then squeeze into each half of the egg halves and there you have it.

1 Like

Tropical fruit salad
3 can dole tropical fruit 15oz
1 can mandarin oranges 15oz
1jar maraschino cherries 16oz
3 banana
1cup fresh pineapple chunks
1 8oz tub of cool whip
1 8oz package of cream cheese
8oz of cream of coconut
1/2 cup coconut flakes
Drain all can fruits put all fruits in large bowl slice bannanas in chunks add with can fruits pineapple chunks and drained cherries
Set aside beat softened cream cheese with cream of coconut fold in cool whip fold cream cheese cool whip mixture into prepared fruit mix in coconut flakes refrigerate for 2 hours serve chilled

1 Like