"What I Learned During the Pandemic" Category for the "My Year in the Pandemic" Contest

I learned that baking at 3 am does straight to your ass. And I’m not a teacher. I have 2 elementary school aged kids in 1st grade and 2nd grade. The year was cut short in 2020 and in rhe next year was hybrid or virtual. And my youngest would always have u read a book to her first then she’d read it to u. Turns out she was memorizing the story and retelling it not reading. Luckily when I asked the school for help they were aalbe to get her caught up .

My name is Jaz. Today is May 26. I learned to mosaic.

I learned that money doesn’t buy toilet paper if none left in stores. I learned that panicking is easily spread. I learned that I’m resilient and family means more than anything. I learned that friendship is just as important as breathing. I learned to use hand cream because of all the hand washing. I learned that I should not sit with my kitchen in sight all day because of telework. I learned that life is precious and wear a mask!!! Linda Delaney May 26-2021

I learned what I already knew: my friends, neighbors, and strangers are the greatest and I am resilient. Tough too. As an essential worker - (you all knew that PIs were essential, right?) I was out there daily doing all the things I usually do as your average little senior citizen PI. Magnum or Rockford I am not. Then, my house burned down. (Another lesson - make sure your smoke detectors are working). Thankfully my fur kids and I got out. My neighbors helped me open the gate because we were afraid the animals would be trapped in the yard. Then they promised the EMTs they would search for the dogs so that I would agree to go to a hospital. Animal Control came to the hospital, told me everyone was fine and safely sheltered for up to two weeks. My friends scooped me up when I was discharged. They took me where I needed to go and helped with some immediate needs as I had run out of the house with only the pajamas I was wearing at the time. One helped with the nightmare of checking into a hotel room my insurance company had reserved. Clerk: I need your credit card and ID. Me: __ Insurance made the reservation. My credit card and ID burned up when my house burned down last night. Clerk: I understand, but I need your credit card and ID to check you in. Repeat many times. Even after a friend gave her a credit card, she still wanted my ID in case I was someone trying to steal my identity. Was literally standing in the lobby in my pajamas and reeking of smoke, and shouting “who would want to steal this identity?” The folks at the shelter took great care of my animals. Was reunited with Poseidon, the cat, as he could stay in the hotel room. The dogs were put together in a grand room until I could arrange for them to be boarded. Just before Christmas, we were all reunited. It’s still a roller coaster. My identity really was stolen in March - along with millions of others. But for every bad thing, there are 57.9 great things, 1279.34 good things, 700,988,234 fair things, and skillions of wonderful people. I just made up the stats, but you get my drift. Lily’s Mom 5.26.21

I learned several new business laws, new framing techniques, and new ways to work with employees and clients.

5/27/2021

WHAT I LEARNED DURING THE PANDEMIC

What I learned during the Pandemic is that life is meant to be lived. I learned that I must take care of my own well being in order to take care of others, especially my children. I mostly worked (12 hour swing shift nights) and slept throughout quarantine while trying to home school my two teenagers, provide for them and just be their mom as well. Their grades and schoolwork performance, and my relationship with each of them, suffered greatly due to my lack of organization, energy and mental/emotional stability.

I have learned that while yes… my income is necessary, it doesn’t have to be what
it was 3 months ago. Later today I start working part time morning shifts making roughly $14 less than what I was 3 months ago. For over 17 years, (and through the heart of the pandemic), I have worked as a nurse in long term care. I also took care of my mother until she passed 4 1/2 years ago… all as a single mom. My children grew up quickly and I feel as if I have failed them in many ways as a mother :disappointed:

I have learned that not just taking care of others is my passion… but taking care of my children is. Over the past 3 months I have been learning to live in the present, to not just ‘provide’ for my children but to ‘be there’ for them, and most importantly to take care of myself. I have also learned that you are never ‘too old’ to make new goals or have new dreams. My oldest daughter (who is 20) told me that❤️ I feel grateful and blessed to say that I am healthy (with my mental/emotional stability improving daily), I have 3 wonderful kids, and it is such a blessing to live in the present😊. I would like to add that for over a year now I have logged in at least daily to play my absolute favorite game - SOLITAIRE TRIPEAKS!! I still call it my ‘Tiki time’!

Mgracia

What did I learn during the pandemic?

There are many lessons learned for the time spent in quarantine during the Covid-19 Pandemic as we all learned how to cope with a new way of life.

I learned how to be patient with myself, my husband, my siblings and my children, and anyone else I happened to come in contact (socially distant contact) with. We all have our own stories and we all were experiencing different hardships and challenges- yes- I learned to be patient and tried to be kind-always.

Lesson two - tomorrow is not promised. Cherish every moment of every day-even of the day isn’t going how you planned. There is a little bit of good in every challenge we face. Look for it-you will find it.

Lesson three- you can go through a whole year of a pandemic with no symptoms of the virus - and then BAM! Two weeks before your son’s wedding, you get sick and have to quarantine!

Lesson four- be grateful. The pandemic started with the blessing of our 1st grandchild. It continued with the blessing of a new puppy, and still continues with the blessing of a special marriage of my son to his beautifully strong soul mate.

1 Like

Instead of staying home during the pandemic, I went back to work. I am a merchandiser for a large Greeting card company. During this time, I learned that so many people just needed someone to talk to…even if that person was a perfect stranger in the card aisle of their local grocery store. So many people, many elderly, needed a kind ear to listen to the stories of their lives, loved ones, and their losses. Even though we were 6 feet apart and masked, that small token of interest taken in them by myself seemed to uplift so many lonely people. I was thanked almost every day just for listening and being sincerely kind to them.
I also learned that just taking a few minutes out of your busy day to stop, listen and care about the people around you, familiar to you or perfect strangers, not only helps them but most certainly helps yourself.

2021-05-27T07:00:00Z

What I have learned in this Pandemic. That family means everything. To never take for granted even the smallest of freadoms we have. Will be happy for the day can hug my friends and family and not worry about making them sick. Also learned it’s time to get back to basic. Eat healthy , play healthy and totally enjoy life. And always keep the faith. May 27. 2021. Tina pitre

After 32 years working at a Children’s hospital and going through SARS and other epidemics, seeing the children always fight their fear with a smile, I learned that the eyes smile even when a mask hides the real smile. What I learned more than anything is that our eyes show fear, sadness, joy, smiles and every emotion a human can have.

Sometimes it takes us going back to look for a brighter future and although this pandemic has brought out the best and worse in people I believe that we should learn from our children and meet the hardest times with love and compassion for our fellow man.

My lesson learned came from many years ago but renewed my faith in my fellow man.

Jem72. May 27, 2021

This pandemic has taught me to seek out people and things that come to mind if there is a nagging feeling. When we least expected it, someone would call or a memory would resurface and that would make a positive difference somehow whether for one or both parties.

Be true to self and to others. There is nothing quite like being sick and not having anyone around. Especially after surviving an illness, it should be clearer how precious life is and not to hide what needs to be said and done usually towards others.

Lastly, it taught me to seek joy, peace and love as often as I could. Though not always easy, it will always be worth it.