"What I Learned During the Pandemic" Category for the "My Year in the Pandemic" Contest

Post your short summary (3 to 6 paragraphs max) for the “What I Learned During the Pandemic” category for the Solitaire TriPeaks “My Year in the Pandemic” Contest. You may include pictures if you want. Entries MUST include your name (Forum name is fine), and the date of entry.

3 Likes

The most important lesson that I took away from the Pandemic is that Love should be shown more. What I saw was the family unit spending time together, enjoying one another, it didn’t require any thing but a willingness to be together. So many people lost their lives, and many were alone. I dont take anyone, nor anything for granted, because tomorrow isn’t promised, and if we don’t seize the moment life is over.

1 Like

I’ve learned my worse fear became reality that I trusted the wrong man for 18 years, how to become a single mom of 3 kids really isn’t that bad that homeschooling them is hell n I’m more grateful for phone calls from school, that court is better threw a video than n person,I’ve learned even during death u still can’t have visitor at a hospital n I shouldn’t of moved 2000 miles away r I would be able to make it before my brother passed away I’ve learned how to make it on my own n I’m alone n this,how big a funeral home is with out anyone in it how to be a homebody is very lonely,how to buy a house is much easier than I thought it would b. I’ve learned how to start completely over n not trust noone n came to reality with my kids not having a father n I’ll never get married that we got this n it’s better that way I learned what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger and the power to over come fear.

3 Likes

Vanessa Johns, Thursday, April 29, 2021

We’ve all changed this year. We’ve lived through historic times, and it’s nearly impossible to experience something of this magnitude without it having an impact. The time-out from regular life forced us to reexamine our values, our relationships, and our lifestyles while determining whether we are living a life of design and not one of default. When federal and state governments mandated that all businesses close their physical stores unless they were deemed essential, many of us were forced to confront the reality that there are very few things in life that are actually essential. The raging pandemic turned reality upside down. Suddenly, that weekly manicure, a daily latte from our favorite coffee shop or Friday night sports bar we thought we could never live without seemed silly, frivolous, and completely unnecessary. Forced into our own homes with just our immediate families, we quickly learned what is truly important in life: Family. Friends. Health. Happiness. Everything else is really secondary. What seemed to be annoying big problems, are in fact small compared to issues linked to life and death. I hope when we return to a pandemic-free society, that we all appreciate what we took for granted before. The pandemic has uncovered a lot about our society that I think we either overlooked or just accepted as truth – both positive and negative. Ultimately, during a time such as the present, I’ve found that supporting others and treating others with utmost respect should be our first priority as humans. As a result, I think the most important lesson I’ve learned as someone who is in a position of leadership is that leading with empathy is not optional but required. Throughout this pandemic, we’ve all been in the same ocean, just floating around in different boats. I think it’s important to acknowledge that reality before engaging with anyone to put yourself in a frame of mind that prompts you to meet others where they may be at any given moment. We truly cannot comprehend what others might be going through, so being empathetic is the most basic courtesy we can extend to others during this challenging time and in times of “normal.” We’re all people. To me, there’s been something beautifully raw in the guards that have dropped. Nobody has the front on anymore - we’re all genuinely rooting for each other whether it’s cheering on someone who has added homeschooling to a job description that previously ended with converting QuickBooks Desktop files to QBO, or sending meals to our teammates when they lost loved ones to COVID-19. I’ve had more real conversations with accountants in their kitchens via Zoom than I’ve ever had in a conference room. Nobody cares that our hair isn’t done, that we have little or no makeup on, and the conversation starter for once has nothing to do with my shoes (mainly because I’m rarely wearing any). As cheesy as it is to say “we’re in this together,” that’s exactly how it is. In this together at 10 pm at night when the emails don’t stop coming in. In it on holidays because there’s no holiday when you’re in survival mode. To borrow one of Brad Smith’s most commonly used phrases – “People don’t always remember what you said or did, but they will never forget the way you made them feel.” I know that the past 6+ months have been a chance to connect on a new level with many of the individuals I’ve never known outside of an office. The second lesson is to celebrate the small wins. This keeps our company’s morale high regardless of company performance or economic conditions. Selling software involves hearing a lot of no-thank-yous. However, our team is encouraged to celebrate any conversation that leads to a demonstration. It gives you a euphoria of “wow, somebody wants to see a demo,” and that humility is what keeps us excited and empowers us to keep rowing the boat and pushing forward, even when a pandemic comes through and changes our world.

3 Likes

I am classified as an essential worker. Most of the customer’s I dealt with were very responsible when it came to both mine and their safety. Occasionally someone would come in and disregard all the safety rules, and when asked to observe the City/County/ State mandates, would yell, scream and cuss us out. These people were always asked to leave, as everyone’s safety was first and foremost most important. So stay safe and please respect other’s safety.

2 Likes

I work in therapy and learned that I am a stronger person than I thought I was. Although I was fearful of contracting Covid-19 especially with having some serious preexisting conditions, my patients came first. I knew my life might be jeopardized. Not only did I go to work at a hospital filled with patients suffering from Covid-19, I also volunteered to work in several skilled nursing facilities covering a total of 6 separate towns.
I had several close calls and was quarantined on a couple of occasions, but never tested positive. I am now vaccinated and continue to work at all of these facilities. I believe the love of my career and the love of my patients kept me healthy. The saying, “we’re in this together” is what gave me the courage to step up to the plate. I no longer question if I am a strong enough person. My fear is gone. This 58 year old lady is a warrior.

2 Likes

I’m a very religious woman and I found myself straying away from my religion before the pandemic. When you find out that you cant leave your home and have to stay in unless necessary, I picked up my bible and got back to what I knew best (God). He will carry us through any storm or virus that is out there. I have several religious leaders in my family, the pandemic brought our family closer than ever, we did weekly bible studies, online church services and weekly prayer service. I love the Lord with all that’s in me and he’s the best choice that I could’ve made during this pandemic.

2 Likes

I learned that I know absolutely nothing about anything! My 4.0 GPA means nothing when I have to sit down and help my daughter, who has ADHD, with her school work.
I learned that my beautiful 8yr old daughter may actually be a demon, and the dog is her leader! I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t walking around talking to myself and answering since the pandemic started and I became a house mom.
My hubby has been deceiving me for 9yrs. He is not the thoughtful, loving man I thought. He is a SLOB! AND A HORDER! He thinks that what I do is easy because I am at home. He often forgets that I am not only mom,but a cook, maid, teacher, chauffeur, nurse/doctor, manager, secretary, organizer, etc…
So, in summary, I learned that everything I thought I knew was a big pile of dodo, and I would rather work a 40+ hour job than do this again next year!

4 Likes

I’ve learned that Life isn’t promised and to take nothing for granted. Not that I didn’t know this before, however, simple pleasures of going outside or going to a loved ones home were restricted. The pandemic has taught me to enjoy the simple things in life because at any moment they can be stripped away. Life is too short, enjoy it and your loved ones, give more hugs to and spend more time with your grandparents and other family members! The pandemic really showed us that a simple hug or dropping in to say hi, are pleasures that can easily be taken away. Who knew that going outside could mean risking your life?? I was also an essential worker and I risked it everyday and missed the hugs and kisses from my kids after a long day as soon as I walked in the house.

3 Likes

I learned I’m in the wrong position . As an essential worker I had to work. Not only my regular shifts, but when 5 of my co workers contracted covid, we had to cover their shifts too.We got no thanks, no bonuses, nothing. It really angers me that people are being paid to stay home. That extra money they passed out for unemployment, should have also been given to the rest of us who are in the middle of this mess.

2 Likes

The most important thing I learned is that we, as humans, have an innate need to be outdoors and to be social. No one could have ever imagined how much life could change in an instance until Covid happened and masks, social distancing and quarantine became the norm. When everyone began working at home at my job. I was kind of excited about the idea but little did I know my failure to work from home would actually be my blessing. I live alone and out in a very rural area and wifi is not available so trying to use hot spot just wasn’t cutting it. But just in the 2 weeks that I attempted this I was literally going crazy. It was just so strange working in 1 room and at the end of the day going into another room and saying I’m home from work. And I couldn’t wait to see my family, or friends, or find a reason to go to the grocery store just to be around other people, or just go outside. So going back to work sounded pretty awesome because even having to wear a mask, checking my temp daily, and social distancing didn’t seem so bad. And even though only a handful of other employees are in the office it’s nice to be able to speak to someone on a daily basis. It’s funny how we take for granted so many things such as being outside or being around other people (even unlikeable people) until its unavailable to us and then we crave it, we obsess over it, and we pray one day this will all be over and we can truly go back to a normal way of life. I know I’m looking forward to that day!!

3 Likes

What I have learned during the pandemic is to love the ones close to you so much more than you previously had! I lost 11 people near and dear to my heart during this pandemic. I wish I would have hugged them more back when we could! I wish I would have called them more just to hear their voice! I couldn’t even give a formal goodbye as covid prevented the normal funeral. My heart is broke and it will never be the same without them!! One of the 11 was my brother who was only 38!! You never know when your time is up, so don’t ever hold back your love! Let those whom you love know with out a doubt that you love them!!

2 Likes

Live each and everyday living your best life, helping others where you can, and excepting help when needed. Love of family and friends should be shared often and from the heart.

2 Likes

What I learned during this pandemic was I needed to make myself better in my career qualities because the business I had worked for for over 15 years was unable to stay in business. So this realization made me buckle down and go back to school. I have that I am not as dumb as I thought I was and I am getting my school groove back.

1 Like

Well I learned patience, and the kindness of doctors and nurses, you see I broke my femur in aug 2020 and was two and a half months in hospital then in April 2021 I broke it again their was a staff infection which caused the bone not to heal, all while selling my house in April to. It sold hehe, but the amazing part is how well the nurses took care of me and I had a blast in the hospital for the 2 1/2 month stay, thank you to all nurses and doctors out there doing their best for all of us.

1 Like

What I have learned during the Pandemic is that life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Family is everything and we need to cherish those that we love. Spend time with family anytime you have the opportunity.

2020 was rough for everyone. In October my husband lost his Dad and in November I lost my Dad, because of the pandemic we had not been able to see either of our Dads, so now that we both have been fully vaccinated we try to visit with our family (still wearing masks and being as safe as possible) as much as we can.

Living life to the fullest and appreciating everyday that I open my eyes and can walk, talk and be a blessing to someone that may be in need. Being appreciative for each day is something else I have learned during the pandemic.

1 Like

I learned about friendship during the pandemic. I have always struggled with self-esteem. Back in October I fell sick with double viral pneumonia with Covid. I checked into the emergency room almost dead with my oxygen level at 53. I was placed on a ventilator for 22 days and spent a total of 57 days in the hospital. It was a very close brush with death. I had to learn to walk again.

As for my friends, they put their arms around me, my husband and son and they never let go! The moment they heard of my illness they first passed it along and built an instant army of prayer warriors from all over the world who lifted my name to God for healing. Then they made sure my husband and son were cared for. They took them food and gift cards. They took my son into their homes so he would not be alone when my husband was away checking on me as the hospital is in another town. They brought groceries, cared for our pets, and created a network so that it would be easier for my husband to share updates. During my entire hospital stay I did not have to worry that my family was okay. They also sent me more cards than I can imagine, lifted me up on social media and remained constant through it all. When I woke up from my medically induced coma, they cried so many tears of joy!

I have been shown the best kind of love. Friends can be that way. I learned to not take my friends for granted. We should always take the time to make sure they know how we feel. Love your friends, always.

Leah King

1 Like

The pandemic has taught me to hold on to those dearest to you. As my dad got covid and was in hospital for 4 weeks. He ended up getting blood clots in his legs. That was nearly a year ago and he’s still having problems. He can not walk as well as he used too, he falls down too. It really scares me.
It has also taught me you can not count on the future as it can change in the blink of an eye. We need to live in the moment. Take one day at a time and enjoy every moment you can. BE NICE TO OTHERS AND HELP WHEN YOU CAN!
Oh yes get a vaccine and always have your mask with you!

1 Like

I learned to appreciate my life and my family , friends, and neighbor’s more. That being without some things is just an excuse to be creative and everything is replaceable except life.

Learned a lot seeing i work in a hospital i saw this virus first hand and it wasn’t pretty. But we are getting back to normal but slowly