"I Started a Hobby" Category for the "My Year in the Pandemic" Contest

My hobby actually turned into a family business. I am disabled and my youngest daughter, who is 30 and a mother of a 2 year old, and we turned my plant love into "A TOUCH OF GREEN ". We do plant sales, service, interior plantscapes,etc.

2 Likes

I had just retired when COVID hit. I hadn’t done anything “crafty” since third grade. That changed quickly. You can learn to make anything on the web. Nightlight covers, pendants, peyote stitch beading, wire wrapping, wind spinners, and finally watercolor painting! All photos taken today. (There is a lot more not shown…lol)

2 Likes

I have always enjoyed baking. During the pandemic I learned to do custom decorated cookies as a way to give back. I loved surprising teachers and my daughter in law’s medical practice with cookies letting them know they are appreciated.
One part of my hobby was to purchase a Cricut and learn how to make stencils and silk screens for my cookies. I was really excited to receive a phone call from Solace House of the Ozarks asking if I would make cookies for their fund raising event. Both of my parents, in laws and step in laws went through hospice at the end of their life. They will always hold a special place in my heart, I can’t wait to give back to them on June 6th, with cookies that have their logo on them.

The Apple picture was taken 5/1/2021
The Medical cookies picture was taken March 22, 2021
Sandra Harrell
Fun with perks/2

1 Like

Wow!!! Those paintings are so beautiful!! Do you have a gallery where you sell your work?

1 Like

I love this idea. So creative

Renee Thanig
I started crocheting a lot of stuff. Not really a new hobby as I taught myself over 50 years ago but this past year made more than I’ve made one the last 50 years. Hats and scarves donated to a local rescue mission, blankets, animals, etc

1 Like

I started to paint again after several years and it gives such a calm feeling to do``

1 Like

Unfortunately my sister passed from Covid and her death inspired a new hobby for me to express my grief. She absolutely loved the beach and this inspired me to start working with clay to create beautiful tributes to her for members of my family. I sculpt mermaids from clay and incorporate shells and sand from her special beach. It’s a labor of love and brings me comfort :blue_heart:

1 Like

I started a twitch account cause i enjoy playing call of duty cold war. I live stream and get to talk to people all over the world even if we dont understand each other we understand how to play as a team and enjoy each others company. Uploading: 20210512_130553.jpg…

I returned to my love of woodworking, and it has since flourished into my own small business! I play solitaire while waiting for the stain to dry! :joy:

1 Like

I’m Jeannette, and I started building a 1/12 scale model dollhouse. My husband gave me a kit for Christmas and we’ve been working on it ever since. It’s nowhere near complete but here’s where we are as of May 26, including a couple of pics showing how we got here.

Hi my name is Katie and I started a new hobby of Cake Decorating and making party treats. It’s always been a passion of mine and when the pandemic hit I needed an outlet. I felt as though I was drowing in all my troubles and pain I had tucked away while staying busy and living life. Every since my Mom passed away in July 2016 I have not been the same. I was pregnant with my only child when she passed so she never met him in the physical. Talk about heartbreak. My son has kept me alive nearly 5 years now but in honor of her this past Mother’s Day I made a cake and wrote a poem. I have been making cakes and treats since August 2020. It has been my therapy and the calm & peace I needed to make it thru this pandemic. Written on May 27, 2021.

1 Like

I started sewing softies, this guy is probablymy favourite so far so much work, but totally worth it

1 Like