"I Started a Hobby" Category for the "My Year in the Pandemic" Contest

Post your short summary (3 to 4 paragraphs max) and pictures below for the “I Started a Hobby” category for the Solitaire TriPeaks “My Year in the Pandemic” Contest. Pictures MUST include your name (Forum name is fine), the date of entry, and the date that the picture was taken.

3 Likes

I started collecting and polishing rocks. Its super fun and a great conversation starter. Like hey you wanna come over and see my rock collection? Or man I was polishing my rocks all night long!

5 Likes

I started an alpaca herd, with guard llamas of course!
Meet Sweetie, Pippa and her son Mikey, Mikey’s grandma Melody, and the rest of the gang!

7 Likes

My boyfriend and I have couple of pit bulls and last year they made more pit bulls. We kept a couple of them. One boy one girl. Gus and Daisy are their names. They are two of the cutest and smartest dogs I’ve seen. Well watching them grow up very quickly I might add, I got inspired to write about the two pups.
I have written 3 children’s books about my not so little anymore babies. I want to write a 10-15 book series and then try and get them published. I call the series The Adventures of Gus and Daisy. The first book is entitled Gus and Daisy go to the vet.
Below are pictures of my babies Gus is the grey and white one and Daisy the black one. Uploading: IMG_20210409_141138343_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg…

2 Likes

I started a fun, enjoyable, relaxing hobby this last year during the pandemic. I started doing Diamond Art. These pictures can take anywhere from 2-14 days. Depending on the amount of time I wanna spend on them in a day or how bad my neck gets hurting to where I can’t do anymore. I put all the little gem like things one by one on a sticky canvas that is like a paint by numbers board, & then I frame them, & hang them on my wall. I have sold a couple because people have seen them & wanted them. So during the pandemic I found a new hobby, plus got to make alil bit of money on top of it!! Uploading: 2020-06-26.jpg…

Here are just a few of the Diamond Art pictures I have done.

5 Likes

My husband and I have been fortunate enough to work during the pandemic, however we have began to paint miniatures for our Dungeons and Dragons games.

We have played almost every Saturday with our friends for the last 4 to 5 years.

We haven’t been able to play in person for almost a year, but still play over zoom.

My 13 year old daughter helps paint as well. We still need A LOT of practice, but we’re having a blast learning this skill and being creative.

Below are some of my favorites. Sorry for the blurriness. It’s really difficult to capture the details on my less than impressive phone camera.

inbound4794842513423980491|558x500

3 Likes

My daughter LOVES doing these. Very cool!!!

2 Likes

My name is Emilee and the hobby I started during the pandemic (other than Solitaire Tripeaks :blush:) is rock painting.
I would paint cartoons and band logos mostly during the day. Then go place them around my neighborhood in the evening. I noticed the rocks would be moved and some taken.
Then one day I ran into a woman pulling her daughter in a wagon with some of my rocks as I was placing others out. She approached me and asked if I was the one putting these rocks out and said that it was part of her and her kids routine to check out the rocks and move them around on her walk every day. So I did a few that were her kids favorite characters. Sometimes they will paint rocks too with messages about what they want.
I absolutely love this and remain anonymous except for that day. I hope that I can spread the joy and make someone’s day a little brighter when they see my rocks!

3/20
2/20 1/21 10/20 4/20. Today’s date is 5/1/21

6 Likes

I taught myself how to embroider! Here are a couple of the projects I’ve worked on.

3 Likes

I decided that it was finally time to teach myself how to play an instrument, after 36 years of not knowing, so I chose the guitar. Using books and How-To videos on YouTube, I can play different chords and even some beginner songs (mostly Christmas songs :smiley:). I’m going to continue practicing, and hopefully one day, become really proficient.

5 Likes

This is so awesome. Beautiful view of pictures. Alpacas are so cute and neat and so are llamas. Nice hobby. Looks like they appreciate it.

2 Likes

I work full time on overnights working for Walmart with my hubby. I also have started collecting reborn dolls. They are dolls that are slightly to very expensive because they are blank canvases of a professional artists handmade sculpts of babies starting from the mold of clay then they are made into vinyl and reproduced so that many people can paint them. They are very realistic with veining, mottling, creasing, blushing, some are hand rooted on their heads and face with mohair and rooting needles with special tools and other animal or human hair’s can be used for realistic looking hair’s. They are painted with genesis heat set paints(they are painted and have to be cured in a convection oven.) Some use air dry acrylic paints. Many, many layers to achieve all different skin tones and details of a real baby. Takes lots of time to do but well worth it.
I decided to take on the roll of being a reborn artist so that’s my new hobby. I wanted to learn to be a reborn artist myself and be proud to say I too can make these beautiful creations under my I wish finger tips. Reborns are special for lots of reasons. I for one, experienced a miscarriage and for me, not having kids of my own anymore, a reborn doll is very coping because they’re weighted like a real baby, can be floppy like a real one and cuddly and so lifelike. It’s just amazing. Long story short, my new hobby after work in the mornings and on my days off are reborning babies. I absolutely love doing and watching these dolls go from blank light colored vinyl to lifelike. I’m astounded with how far I’ve come. Thanks for letting me share. God bless!

3 Likes

I know the photos are silly, but silliness is one of the only things that have kept me sane thru this pandemic. The photos show one thing I’m super proud I learned. I’ve always wanted to learn how to do box braids on my super fine Caucasian hair. With help via phone and video, I finally mastered it! They are still hard for me to do, but I managed a full head of 24 inch braids! This also protects your hair to grow out without heat or styling product. Now I’m going to try to to tackle Senegalese twists!

3 Likes

During the pandemic I started mushroom hunting! I’ve always loved eating mushrooms, nature, and science, and this hobby combines all three PLUS it was and still is a safe (and free!) activity to do during the pandemic! Not only will you be exercising and learning some pretty interesting things about mushrooms, with any luck, you will get a delicious healthy meal as well!
The ones in the picture are from a kit that my daughter gave me for Christmas. It was a lot of fun to see how fast the mushrooms grew!

4 Likes

I learned how to grow house plants and began my indoor garden. Previously I always killed what was insideand only had outdoor gardens. Now my friends bring me their rehab projects!

Got a electric bike and go ride everyday!

inbound1541431814|588x500

2 Likes

Proud to be a team member of Dab Dae Dah. I started a paint by number picture and was amazed at the time and attention it took to complete. Wish I could paint without numbers, but this sure occupied quarantine time!! (Photo taken in April, 2021)inbound4010730039706351392|375x500

3 Likes

I decided to crochet Afghans for my 4 grandsons, my son and daughter. It kept my hands and mind busy…and each will have something made with :cupid:
[inbound3633181393214719272|666x500](upload://gf7LCOEGJtG

2nAjtJUMj65rP5z9.jpeg)

3 Likes

I started making clothes and masks and bags and all types of stuff. I started with my cricut a couple months back and since then have made so many cute things for myself and family and friends its so fun to create your own things, I’ve really enjoyed it so much so far and will continue to make different stuff maybe start selling also. Hope is gamer name hyankowski@yahoo.com is email

2 Likes

I lost my job a year ago so I started painting with inks.

3 Likes