BEST "DOING FOR OTHERS" STORY (2020 Heartfelt Holidays Contest)

Post your entries into the Best “Doing for Others” Story for the 2020 Solitaire TriPeaks Heartfelt Holidays Contest here!

These short (3 to 4 paragraphs maximum) stories should be about doing for others - either something you’ve done for others, or something others have done for you.

3 Likes

Doing for others…

So our water cooler broke at work & the owner of the company decided to order a new part & replace it himself. We all joked that he should get the younger guy to do it, but he really wanted to fix it himself as a gift to us.

He proceeded to change the part (by my desk) and cracked a joke that he shouldn’t be working with water & electricity. I immediately said “didn’t you unplug it first” and he responded “where’s the fun in that?!”

After the part was in its place the machine started spewing water like an oil gusher & we all ran with cups & towels as he tried to unplug the machine. I couldn’t stop laughing as a coworker proceeded to sing the Beverly Hillbillies song - “Let me tell you a story about a man named Jed…”

And this is why you should always unplug the water cooler before replacing a part LOL. I think the gift of laughter was by far the best gift we could have received this year!!

2 Likes

When I was growing up, my parents ran a Crisis Center. It was nothing to have dinner with the homeless, stranded or runaways. Each year at Christmas my mom would find out what the newest arrival would need and wrap gifts for them and place them under the tree.
One year we had a man who showed up at our door with nothing but a tattered coat and shoes that had seen better days. It was the middle of winter so my mom opened the clothes closet and started digging. After a warm meal and a warm place to sleep, he awoke to Christmas Day. Watching everyone open gifts you could tell he was uncomfortable. That is, until my mom placed several packages in his lap. As he started opening new socks, a razor, deodorant and the likes, his face changed. With tears rolling down his face he told my mom that it had been over 30 years since he was given a Christmas gift as he had been homeless that long. We all sat there in silence as he told us his life and how we had just blessed him with the best gifts ever.
It was just toiletries, we thought, but to him it was much more. I will never forget him or his face. May we always remember it’s the little things that matter.

7 Likes

My oldest son has been a NY Jets fan since he was 5 yrs old. One year for Christmas, I surprised him with tickets. He was 25 years old but had never been to a game. I put the tickets in a CD jewel case and wrapped it. I put money for food and parking in an envelope, then wrapped them both in a box. On Christmas morning I asked him and his brother to unwrap the box. My younger son was confused as he knew I was getting his brother the tickets so he didn’t know why he was helping to open the present. The gift was for both of them because the Jets were playing the NY Giants, which is my youngest sons favorite team. They were both so surprised and happy that they had tears in their eyes. The game was the day after Christmas. Best Christmas ever that I could do something to make them that happy!

2 Likes

Just a few years ago the medical transport comp my son-in-law worked for, shut down with no notice a month before Christmas. Many young families lost income overnight for weeks already worked too. So we set up a toy and food drive for all the families in need. Don’t think I’ve ever wrapped so many gifts not have I seen so many sweet smiling children faced and relieved parents if only for a few days.

2 Likes

One year my husband had deserted me and my 4 children. I was just put off work because i had to have surgery. I didnt have money for christmas. I cooked what i had and used a tall plastic plant for a christmas tree. On christmas eve i got a knock at the door. When i opened it the police fire department and a radio station was on my front porch. They brought in a tree , full Christmas meal. A WHOLE trailer of CHRISTMAS PRESENTS. I was so overjoyed and cryed and cryed then the radio station pulled out an envelope with 1000 dollars in it. Everyone was crying as they were leaving. We had the most wonderful christmas that year because of the careing and help from all these people.

4 Likes

Over the years I have struggled financially, raising 2 children on my own. When they were in their late teens I remarried. He was a good man but the marriage was not meant to be. It lastest only 4 years.
This past August I was experiencing major car troubles costing me thousands of dollars and came to the decision to file bankruptcy. My ex husband Scott and his wife Sarah, knowing I would still need to do something about a car, bought me a brand new 2020 Honda Fit. No strings attached.
My bankruptcy went through, no more car issues, and I am on the road to recovering from bad debt. I am 65 yrs old.
I have been abundantly blessed by Scott and Sarah. I never would have thought I deserved such love from my ex husbands new wife. I wish them many blessings in return.

2 Likes

So when we were having -20 weather here one time I watched this lady in nothing but a jacket pour water into her antifreeze. I knew her car was going nowhere at this point, it was freezing and she looked like she had nothing left in her. I looked in my backseat and saw my barely warn winter coat back there and it but me, this was supposed to be hers. So I walked up to her, without saying a word and just put it on her. I got in my car and drove off, but the look in her eyes, you would have thought I gave her a new car! It warmed my soul knowing that I could help someone with just the littlest thing.

4 Likes

The summer of me turning 16, my parents were building their home they they live in today (1997). Living in a small town less than 10,000 everyone knows everyone. I am 7 of 9 children so money was always tight growing up. My parents had planned family members do certain jobs around the new house to save money. One uncle laying the concrete, one uncle doing the sheetrock, one doing the electrical and us kids helping out. I learned how to lay tile and install windows that summer. I knew once Christmas had rolled around that it wasn’t going much of a Christmas that year.
Every year we would pick a family in need, and do the 12 days of Christmas for them! It was something that I looked forwarded to every year, especially this year. Every day preparing what we were going to leave that night, something special that they needed, helped bring a little bit of happiness.
When I woke up Christmas morning, I couldn’t believe my eyes! I thought “Santa” had really come because where all did it come from! Being 16 and knowing that HE is not real, had a whole different meaning to me! Now I have 4 kids of my own and we pass on the tradition of finding someone in need to do the 12 days of Christmas.

3 Likes

Doing for others.
It was 2018, I was on my way to Walmart, at the light right by Walmart I saw this woman and her daughter and their camper parked in the parking lot on the corner holding signs that they were homeless and that anything helps. Seeing anyone who is homeless breaks my heart. But it really hit home seeing the little girl out in the cold with only a hoodie. So My Walmart has a mc Donald’s in it, so I shopped and got what I needed, however I bought the little girl a winter jacket and cozy sweats, I also bought the mom a winter jacket and warm pants. On my way out I bought them both McDonald’s to make sure that they had warm food in their stomachs. I went back every other day bringing them different food always something different! And sometimes even gave them some cash to go to Walmart and grab other stuff. After a few weeks they found somewhere safe to go and have been there ever since. And for me ever since I’ve been volunteering at a church helping homeless people and giving them coats along with thanksgiving and Christmas dinner! The little things to you can be life changing for others!

1 Like

I helped a neighbor get into assisted living her nephew stripped all the pipes in the house for drug use and left her stranded with no heat or hot water I couldn’t bare to see her living in those conditions she would collect rain water to flush toilet or use my hose for water it was sad so I did reach out shes living comfortably now I would do it again

So, you just gave her a jacket and drove off leaving her in -20 degree weather…not waiting to make sure her car would start? Huh. Kind of like putting a band aid on a bullet wound.

1 Like

It was the best I could do in the situation I was in. I’m not looking for praise here. I had to be at work unfortunately in 5 minutes and it was one of those jobs that if you were late, you were fired. I couldn’t afford to loose my job. So yes unfortunately I had to leave. She was at a gas station where she could get help if she needed to. And this was one of those Sub-Zero multiple layers winter coats that was well over a $100. I didn’t have to do anything, but I chose to do something. Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Ok, I must apologize to you. Stating that she was at a gas station is an important detail. I was picturing her out on the side of a deserted road somewhere. So in this case, what you did was commendable. You are very kind. And bosses should be whipped if they fire someone who is late under extenuating circumstances.

I completely agree about the bosses firing thing, we may have more help in the world if there was more understanding from others. I try my best to do what I can.

In 2002my,church Gave my family the best twelve dAys of Christmas ! Every night ,Our family would get a gift. And we would get a piece of the navitvy. The last piece was baby Jesus. That was best Christmas we had since my dad passed away. The year before.

1 Like

I was in a miserable abusive marriage but told no-one. A friend in the choir I sang in must have recognised a kindred spirit because she one day said that there was always a place to run to at hers if I ever needed it. I was surprised and taken aback as I hadn’t known her very long.
Fast forward 18mths and I had to run when he threatened to kill me. 3am in the morning I text my friend briefly told her what had happened as he was being arrested. She told me where to find a key and turn up whenever. She gave me a safe place until I could get back on my feet. That was 3 years ago and I’m happy and safe and she is my best friend. I know that without her help I couldn’t have got away and for that I will be eternally grateful

We live in Mississippi. Back on Easter Sunday and the Sunday before that we had some severe weather. This included 2 massive tornadoes that completely leveled our town. Everyone we knew lost everything that owned. Luckily nobody was killed. My son, along with my 3 nephews decided they wanted to help the neighborhoods with not only cleanup, but giving back to the kids who lost everything they had as well. So they went from house to house giving the men who were working in the hot sun, cold glasses of lemonade, and helping with cleanup as much as they were able to. They later set up a free lemonade stand so that the workers had something come to drink when they needed it. That wasn’t enough for them. They all 4 went through their toys and clothes and went to the leveled houses they knew to have children who lost everything, and donated their toys and clothes and helped make those kids smile. Some of them cried, all of the parents cried, the boys cried, I cried, it was beautiful. That was the best parenting moment I have ever had. At least I know I’ve done something right with my son and nephews.

1 Like

Shirley Prentice/Doing for Others
This is about my sister, Donna. She is always doing something for someone in need. One year that had been very hard financially we couldn’t afford Christmas presents for our 3 kids. My sister who lived in another state, invited us to her house for Christmas.
She helped us with gas to get there and when we arrived, we found that she had also gone out and bought several gifts for the kids. Upon opening them on Christmas day, our kids found all the things that they were wishing for, including a Letterman’s Jacket for our son who was going to be a senior the following year!
What we thought was going to be a dreary Christmas turned out to be one of the best with family and love!
My kids still remember this one as one of their best!!

1 Like

Hi MST & welcome to the forum. Many prayers for blessings on your road to financial recovery. I know that type stress can leave us feeling hopeless. Thank you for sharing your story, it warmed my heart. Some of our greatest blessings surprise us from the most unexpected places. :gift_heart:

1 Like