BEST "DOING FOR OTHERS" STORY (2020 Heartfelt Holidays Contest)

The summer of me turning 16, my parents were building their home they they live in today (1997). Living in a small town less than 10,000 everyone knows everyone. I am 7 of 9 children so money was always tight growing up. My parents had planned family members do certain jobs around the new house to save money. One uncle laying the concrete, one uncle doing the sheetrock, one doing the electrical and us kids helping out. I learned how to lay tile and install windows that summer. I knew once Christmas had rolled around that it wasn’t going much of a Christmas that year.
Every year we would pick a family in need, and do the 12 days of Christmas for them! It was something that I looked forwarded to every year, especially this year. Every day preparing what we were going to leave that night, something special that they needed, helped bring a little bit of happiness.
When I woke up Christmas morning, I couldn’t believe my eyes! I thought “Santa” had really come because where all did it come from! Being 16 and knowing that HE is not real, had a whole different meaning to me! Now I have 4 kids of my own and we pass on the tradition of finding someone in need to do the 12 days of Christmas.

3 Likes