BEST "CHILD'S GIFT STORY" (2020 Heartfelt Holidays Contest)

The best part about the holidays for me is having all my children and grandchildren together and watching the joy when they open their gifts and the love that they give back to me and it fills me up with joy I couldn’t ask for anything more!

Growing up I’ve always wanted to be like my big brother, everything he did I wanted to do too! Like golf, volleyball, baseball, play video games, and I did, however when he went into basic training I moved into his room and played his Xbox, after basic of course he wanted his Xbox back and I was upset because he was stationed so far and we couldn’t play video games together anymore because I didn’t have my own gaming system. So for Christmas that year he bought me my own Xbox so we can play together, 5 years later now we still play til this day! I’ll forever be grateful to look up to him as my role model and forever love this Xbox no matter how old we get!

The best part about the holidays for me is having all my children and grandchildren and watching the joy when they open their gifts and the love that they give back to me and it fills me up with joy I couldn’t ask for anything more

My family always did some kind of gag gift on each other one Christmas when I was 13 I came home to a new gift under the tree for me it was big and oblong wrapped in red silk fabric it looked like the cinnamon disc candies…after days of shaking squishing it I figured out it was a roll of toilet paper so I thought it was a gag gift it ended up being my first real peice of jewelry it was a black onyx and gold ring. That made me feel so grown up it was awesome

The best gift I received was back in the 60’s. I so wanted this babydoll but being 1 of 8 children we didn’t receive many unnecessary things. My dad surprised me though and got me the babydoll I wanted with his S&H Green Stamps. I remember how excited I would be to complete another stamped book for him every time he got back from the grocery store. Thanks Dad!!!

It was Christmas 1949, I was 7 years old, my Aunt Helen gave me a Nurse’s kit with bandages, scissors, a stethoscope, bottle of pretend medicine and a first aide instructions on how to treat cuts and what to do in case of an emergency.
  At the time I had fun treating my dolls or any family members who would let “Nurse MaryEllen” treat them with tender care.
   It was that Nurse’ Kit that stirred the desire to be a Nurse. Thus I studied in High School the Sciences I needed to get into Providence Hospital School of Nursing in Detroit MI where I graduated worked in many fields and still at 78 years I am an RN using my skills to care for my husband with Alzheimer’s illness. 
    I am forever grateful that Aunt Helen gave such a thoughtful gift that took me on a path of healing and care.

When my daughter was little she wanted a 4 wheeler for Christmas. I told her I was sorry but we just couldn’t afford one. Of course she had no clue that she was actually going to one. Well every time we’d see one I would make a point to apologize and act like I was going to cry for not being able to get her one. Fast forward to Christmas day …my Dad called around 5am wanting to know if we had given it to her yet and I said " no she’s not even awake yet but she probably is now". Somewhere around 8 after she had opened all her presents I told my husband to go get it. I could hear him starting it and driving it up to the back door. I just knew she heard it but she thought it was her daddy’s truck. I needed to figure out a way to get her to go outside without giving it away. So it was cold and wet outside and we had a fire going in the fireplace. When my husband came in I told her to go help her daddy get more wood. Needless to say she was not happy that I was making her do it. She started going down the steps with her head down until the last step. When she looked up and saw the
4- Wheeler she started crying. The look on her face was priceless.

The Best gift I got as a child was this beautiful brown Baby doll, that’s all I ever wanted. I still have that doll today!

Got my son a hand sewn sock monkey for his 1st Christmas. He did everything with Mr. Monkey. Ate with him. Slept with him. Watched tv with him.
When he was in kindergarten he came home from school to find Mr. Monkey shredded by our dog. He waa devastated. He then walked in and grabbed a trash bag and collected all the pieces. Then told his dad “ok dad, let’s go bury him” that dug a hole in back yard and buried him.

My favorite Christmas was when DSS called me and they had custody of my granddaughter and I said I was flying out today to bring her home. They said I had to wait and they will let me know what to do next. After 8 months and Attorney in my home state and Attorney in Colorado I was able to bring her home just in time for Christmas. I don’t need any presents, she is my present and my blessings. She was adopted by me 2 years ago. Grandma raising her granddaughter at 57 years old.

The best child is my daughter when she was 5 and kindergarten right before Christmas. She had to have her tonsils took out and tubes put in her ears and she couldn’t go back to school for Christmas party that her class was having. So her teacher and her class made a special day just for her.

They did a big party for because she was the only kid in her whole kindergarten class of school that wasn’t going to be there and she has autism and i didn’t tell her what her class and teachers did for her she was so surprised and I was crying and couldn’t believe that the teachers and school did for her. That was 18 years ago and still till this day I still remember as if it was yesterday. That was the biggest gift :gift: :heart_eyes: that they could ever did and I was grateful for the school and her teacher and kids that showed so much love and care for her and it made her day.

One year I was working at the waffle house and we all decided that we weren’t going to draw names that year we were just going to buy for this one family a lady that work for us that had like five children and her husband had gotten laid off from work so we bought them Christmas and my dad built the girls a life-size dollhouse he put so much detail into this dollhouse it was amazing the shingles were little pieces of wood he made little shutters and furniture he put hinges on it so it open out i was so amazed